Being Creative

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by twood, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Cmatt1605

Cmatt1605 Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Greensboro, NC
    Mine did this at first too, try checking to make sure that you can spin the motor fan by hand (mine was grinding against the box wall) stick your hand through the cowl opening (you will have to take the plastic grill off) I did it with my hood off so it was easier, but you can stick your arm down there and feel the blades, try to turn them by hand before you pull the inner fender back out.

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For you guys doing your own fiberglass molds. I made panels for a motorcycle about 20 years ago. I made molds out of manila folders, bends/angles I reinforced with cardboard to hold the angle. On the inside of the mold I used nylon filament masking tape, (this was years ago), now I'm thinking that clear plastic shipping tape would work well too. I took a little vaseline and lightly applied it to the inside of the mold, laid my glass cloth in, soaked it in resin and smoothed it out and let it dry, then I added a few layers of glass mat to give it thickness and strength. You can see the panels here, they were grafted onto the original panels that attach to the fuel tank, they run all the way back and surround the taillight.

[​IMG]

3. Cmatt1605

Cmatt1605 Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Greensboro, NC
    That looks great!

4. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

May 12, 2002
    VA BCH, VA
    Giving the thread a bump... My 79 had A/C originally. I found an 81 that had heat only. I pulled the entire setup out of it and installed that in my 79. It wasn't terribly involved. The size of the hole in the firewall that the air passes into the distribution box had to be changed. The bottom portion of the hole is smaller on the heat setup, so I riveted a patch over that area. Other than that, the swap was simple enough. It was well worth the effort. It removed the bulky box in the engine compartment, simplified the wiring to the blower motor by removing the high speed relay, and best of all changed the vent controls from vacuum operated to cable operated. Not necessarily a home grown fix, but it was cheap.

Seat belts out of a 4th gen Camaro fit the second gen. The bone yards are full of those and I am sure the belts in most of the 2nd gens out there have seen better days. The receiver is a bit longer though. It would be ideal to relocate the receiver to land the catch in the stock location.

5. 70sbudget

70sbudget Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2008
    san diego
    Former bicycle mechanic came to life when I needed to re make the throttle cable. Bicycle brake housing and cable are a hell of a lot cheaper than automotive parts!

For the no squeak rubber pads between the gas tank straps and the tank, bicycle tires were perfect. :)

6. 70sbudget

70sbudget Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2008
    san diego
    I will be honest, every time I walk in and see my wife pumping I want to steal the electric pump and hide it in the garage for brake bleeding!

7. Krator

Krator Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Canada
    Started reading that and thought you were going a totally different direction on that one. LOL

8. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Whut?
    Oh yeah, lol... dash I made out of FG... link to thread in my sig.

About ready for round two as soon as I get my workbench built (new house, no workbench right now :( ).