Being Creative

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by twood, Aug 9, 2012.

1. twood

twood Veteran Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Glen Morris, ON Canada
    I would like to start by saying this site and the members on it have been an invaluable source of information tossed into a bucket full of experience. lol...

This is my first 2nd gen of anything in a long time. I am really enjoying getting right in there and making my camaro mine.
    I have noticed some people's answer to alot of problems is to go here and buy this, and.....and then go here and buy this one cause it solved my problem, and.....HOLD IT.....Now lets talk budget....
    Married, kids, and , and, and......Moneys tight...cant buy new,...right now? Lets see if i can make this, or change that because it would be better...

What have you guys and gals made or changed yourself, instead of buying it....PICS are a must...

Cheers

2. Red79z29

Red79z29 Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Ohio
    Check "Will's 72 Restoration". On the last page he made a cheap, but really smart, tool thing to flip a car on it's side to work on the underside.

Hope this helps.

3. twood

twood Veteran Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Glen Morris, ON Canada
  4. Soon as i get my procrastinating butt in gear & learn how to post pics. I have thoughts of making my own fiberglass hood using Plaster of Paris as my mold in a big home made sandbox big enough to fit my hood in & GLASS AWAY!!!;)

5. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Lake Jackson Tx
    How about a dual electric fan shroud on the cheap...

This was my old radiator, I had a single fan mounted to those pieces of flat bar.

[​IMG]

Here are some of the materials for the new shroud.

[​IMG]

I laid the One Way sign down on the radiator, then sat the fans where they would best fit,

[​IMG]

With a sharpie I marked where to cut.

[​IMG]

Cut out...
    [​IMG]

Fans mounted..

[​IMG]

Sitting in place..

[​IMG]

Then I disassembled it all, painted the shroud black and mounted it up to my new aluminum radiator.

[​IMG]

As you can see I spaced the shroud away from the radiator with 1/2" square tubing which I screwed to the top and bottom flange of the radiator. The shroud mounts to the square tubing, then it's sealed to the radiator at the sides with some dense foam.

With a stout 406 in south Texas heat, this setup has never run hot.

6. twood

twood Veteran Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Glen Morris, ON Canada
    Now thats what im talking about...very cool use of materials. Where are the fans from?

7. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Lake Jackson Tx
    I've had the larger fan (14"?) for a long time but I believe I bought both fans from Ebay. They are just standard cheap fans.

8. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    My contribution to Early Second Gen RS owners/restorers:

[​IMG]

Couldn't see the point in spending a chunk of $ on a heavy piece of rubber, so I made my own nose from fiberglass. I made and sold a few, but my mold was getting beat up, and life was demanding more and more time, so I made sure a couple parties got one, or took a mold from mine so reproduction would continue by better craftsmen than I.

If you see a RS nose with the grill surround as one piece made in 'glass or carbon fiber, it will look just like my nose. ;)

9. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    My list is endless:

Engine stands.

Engine hoist.

Piston stops (usually can't find the last one I fabricated so I make a new one each time!)

Any part that I can turn, drill, mill on my Grizzly Combination Lathe/Milling machine.

Narrowed the 12 bolt rear with fixure that I fabricated on my Grizzly Combination Lathe/Milling machine.

Adjust-A-Covers and the fixtures to make them.

Wheel spacers when I needed them to get better backspacing on a set of wheels that I had at one time.

10. twood

twood Veteran Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Glen Morris, ON Canada