Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    +1 and your fab work is top notch.

1981paul likes this.
  2. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

Now that temperatures are more reasonable (to the point where my garage heater can put a dent in things), I can knock out a few of the little things that need to be done before paint. This time it was sealing up the firewall. Most folks use aluminum and pop-rivet over the holes, but I had sheet steel on hand so I did things the hard way.

I'm never going to "smooth" the firewall on this car, but I do have a new respect for those who do. This is a ton of work, and I'm just going for good enough for a race car. The plan is, once everything is said and done, the firewall will get a coating of Lizard Skin, so it will help hide some of the irregularities.

[​IMG]

The car was in a pretty nasty wreck before I got it, so the passenger side sheet metal under the fender isn't pretty.

[​IMG]

Next up was sealing up the cowl, both the vents and the windshield wiper holes. The goal here is to prevent a bunch of little holes acting as flame throwers should there ever be a fire.

[​IMG]

Getting close to stripping the chassis the rest of the way and prepping for paint.

3. 1981paul

Just another small one, but somebody got a bath. I spent the morning power-washing probably 15 years of dust from grinding and storage. It was way more dirty than I thought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I love looking at the "poke" of the rear wheels.

[​IMG]

This is the first step in prepping for paint. Once I rolled it back into the garage I got it up on stands and removed all the front suspension and steering. Rear axle and suspension come out next, then a few final welds, then a lot of sanding and paint prep.

4. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Loganville, Ga
    So the beast came out of its den, saw it's shadow and went back inside until spring. It is amazing how much dust and stuff collects in them while building them up.

z28cp and 1981paul like this.
  5. 1981paul

More sand and earplugs came out too, of course...

6. 1981paul

At some point, sand and earplugs (and I guess Dairy Queen spoons) will stop falling out of this car.
    [​IMG]

I finished getting the car stripped down to a bare chassis over the weekend to start paint prep. I was pretty happy with how everything came apart, and I've been bagging and tagging to hopefully make my life easier down the road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While I had things apart, I took a moment and did the "final" trim on the rear wheel openings, finished up some welding I couldn't get to in the rear section, and wrapped up a few odds and ends.
    [​IMG]

I have just a hair more welding to do on the front floor and transmission tunnel, and then it's time for paint.

I'm hoping to have the car fire by my birthday (June 3rd) and have it to an event on June 30th for a shakedown (minus bodywork). Lofty goals, but it's a good target.

John Wright likes this.
  7. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Loganville, Ga
    Looking good. Just a thought, maybe close off the rear wheelwell area where the tire is. I found a lot of gravel in the trunk and rear seat area in my car, and I had more of the wheelwell in place. Mine was mainly open on the inner part of the wheelhouse.

z28cp likes this.
  8. 1981paul

I'm thinking about using plastic (like the stuff for airdams) to make some inner wheel wells back there.

z28cp likes this.
  9. 1981paul

Just when I thought I was in the full disassembly stage, I realized I needed to get a dash into this thing, so I ordered up a kit from S&W Racecars. Pretty happy with things so far. I hope to finalize it this week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It comes with an insert for the gauges that I've already marked out. I hope to show that soon.

10. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Will you be going with analog or the more trendy digital gauges ?