Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

Someone should probably take these scales away from me...

After looking at the un-ballasted rough weight distribution, I decided that I wouldn't put the battery behind the passenger seat. Instead I chose to mount it in the "trunk" and save that area behind the seat for a ballast rack.

[​IMG]

After that was put in place, I just placed 200lbs of lead behind the rear tires. I will actually make a way to mount the ballast later, but this was to get an idea of how it shifts the weight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty happy with how the balance is working out. Once the car is all said and done, I can't have more than 51% rear weight bias, so getting this close without a front clip, etc, and a lot more ballast to put in was a good start.

[​IMG]

I'm taking a week off from work soon and using it to get the car over the current hump and a big step closer to being a runner. Stay tuned.

2. 1981paul

So I took the past week off, and one of the main goals was to knock out as much on the car as I could. I had a goal set, but my eyes were a bit bigger than my stomach. Despite that, I'm pretty happy with the progress made.

I started with the gas pedal. I have short legs, but I want to sit as far back in the car as possible. When Larry installed the brake and clutch pedals for me, I had him move to help enable this, but that left the stock gas pedal in the wrong place. Time to fix that.

I made (and since the photo was taken, braced up) an extension that would still allow me to use the factory gas pedal (which is just something I wanted to do - I felt like the original "go pedal" just hand to stay).
    [​IMG]

This would bolt into the factory location (plus a new mounting point to stabilize it) and allow the gas pedal to land in the right spot. I angled it slightly to get the gas pedal tighter to the brake.
    [​IMG]

Bolting up the pedal to the extension made this happy little dancing robot (IMO):
    [​IMG]

Keen eyed viewers will notice a weld on the gas pedal arm. When I first installed it, it still wasn't quite where I wanted it in relation to the brake pedal, so I removed about 1.5" from the straight section of the pedal, welded, and then sleeved it. Here it is next to a stock pedal:
    [​IMG]

That gave me this for a final setup, and it worked out great.
    [​IMG]

Next up, we stayed in the pedal theme, but this time it was the dead pedal. The stock setup doesn't have a dead pedal, with the e-brake and the high beam switch in that location. Since I won't have either, and since you don't need to use the clutch after 1st gear, a dead pedal was essential.

Luckily, due to the fact that this car needs to gain some weight fast, I could really overbuild this sucker. I anchored the pedal to the stock stud for the emergency brake, and then welded a flange into the floor for the bottom of the pedal to attach to. The frame was made out of 1x1 steel.
    [​IMG]

I then covered it with a piece of 16ga steel, and folded the backside over at an angle so your foot wouldn't get caught behind it when operating the clutch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All bolted in:
    [​IMG]

And the picture of the new updated office:
    [​IMG]

I'm happy to report that everything is comfortable, strong, and should make driving this pig a breeze.

A braking and clutch system is no good without a reservoir, or in this case three. Since I won't be using the radio in this car, the grill area gave up it's life to mount them and give me a quick way to visually check levels before every run.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last bit was working on continuing the flange for the trans tunnel. This was ultimately my undoing, as contorting to weld this did a number on my back, ending my week of work on the car a little early.
    [​IMG]

So, not as far as I wanted to get, but a great distance along. I still have a few more things to do, but I have started to pull the car back apart so I can get it cleaned, sanded, and tub painted before it gets too cold here.

Thanks for checking in!

Randy 81 likes this.
  3. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Loganville, Ga
    Looking good. Should be burning tires in anger next year it looks like.

Hopefully you have better luck with those reservoirs than I did. They tend to leak where the reservoir mounts, so watch for that.

4. 1981paul

I've heard about the leaking. Maybe it will be like the oil on our Miata where we'll always have fresh fluid.

5. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Loganville, Ga
    Yep, fluid will be fresh. Odd thing is if you mount the reservoirs directly on the master cylinders, they don't leak. I thought about doing that but it would require cutting the dash more in order to fill them. I kept a rag on the floor below them to catch the drips, brake fluid is quite slippery on a metal floor, especially when climbing in/out over a roll cage. Don't ask how I know, please.

1981paul likes this.
  6. 1981paul

So I've actually been in the process of taking the car apart for the "last" time so I can do my finish welding and start to prep for paint.

I was looking through my phone, and I realized that I had pictures of the finished transmission flange and one of the ballast racks that I hadn't shared.

Here is the transmission flange. I've got poster board on the way so I can make a template for the cover.
    [​IMG]

Here is the rack. It's made from some angle stock and is welded to the factory frame and the rear "box" structure. I'm also going to add an upright to the frame to keep the 100-150lbs of lead from stressing the structure. This should hold two or three lead bricks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More updates coming soon!

7. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Florida
    I like the idea of moving the gas pedal. I'm not very tall and don't like the relationship between the gas and brake with the gas farther away in my 70 bird. Might have to move it a little closer while I've got thew interior out.

1981paul likes this.