Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

Small update to show I'm still alive. Kicked the Miata out of the garage to get back to work on the Camaro. Wheels and tires are off getting mounted, and I have this box of goodies waiting to go on this weekend.

[​IMG]

2. 1981paul

Worked on the new front brake setup. Originally I was using a 12" rotor and a GM style caliper, but Ron at RS Racing recommended I move up to a 13" rotor and some Wilwood Superlite calipers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a tight fit inside the 16" rim, but it works.

[​IMG]

I'll need to machine about 5mm off of the large caliper spacer I have to center them up on the rotor, but it all works for now.

I'll be moving to the rear brakes next, and those come with some new gumballs.

3. 1981paul

Moving on to the rear of the car, the brakes were a little less of a bolt on affair. The rear end housing had no bracket on it, so I had to add one. I opted to go with a bolt on bracket. Even though it bolts on, it still requires a quick weld to keep it from rotating under braking force. The nice part about it is that since it doesn't have to be fully welded, you don't risk warping the housing.

[​IMG]

With that sorted, I could put the full 11.75 disk that used to live on the front on the rear, and bolt up the hub and caliper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I could get to the really fun part, mounting up the new 16x14 and radial slick. The tire itself is taller than the bias plys I have been using, and that was expected. What surprised me was how much wider the tire appears due to being better supported on the 14 inch rim, vs the 12.

[​IMG]

The new rear wheels from RS Racing are so shiny and fit perfectly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will need to do a little bit more clearancing, but that was expected.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 1981paul

Another small one here, but I got the axle side brackets for the rear sway bar built. They still need to be welded to the axle, but they are fleshed out and the concept works. The holes in the bracket correspond with the ones in the sway bar arms, so I can adjust the stiffness of the bar while keeping the endlinks vertical.

[​IMG]

There used to be so much room back here. Things are filling up fast.

[​IMG]

5. 1981paul

Hoping around from section to section on the car in an attempt to get this thing into paint soon.

I picked up some tie-downs for the back of the car and got them in place.
    [​IMG]

Then I moved to the flanges and tabs for the rear firewall and trans tunnel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also lucked out and my new custom steering arms from Coleman Racing arrived. They were happy to make up a set of arms to meet my specs. You can see the difference from their "stock" arms.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of the changes include the obvious relocation of the tie rod hole for increased Ackerman, and we thinned out the rear mounting area by a 1/4 inch. The rear bolt had been hitting the shock mount at full lock and limiting steering. Removing the 1/4 made a huge difference.
    [​IMG]

And here is everything installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hard to get a good picture in the garage, but there is definitely some Ackerman now.
    [​IMG]

Smokey15 likes this.
  6. 1981paul

Got the rear sway bar axle side brackets tacked in last night. Nothing to really see there photo wise.

I then moved to the front to mount of the massive Detroit Speed Engineering sway bar. I originally wanted to use a splined style sway bar, and in the future I still might, but part of me wanted to keep the project moving with an "easy button." I picked the DSE bar because they are the only people I could find that actually published a rate (816lb/in).

Well, I went to mount it up and realized there is no "easy button" when it comes to a car like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. We cut off the passenger side sway bay tab, for some stupid reason.
    2. The driver's side has some weird circle track sway bar mount.
    3. The new steering arm will have to be clearanced a little to get full lock.
    4. My front wheels need to be 6" backspacing, and not 7, to get full lock.

Lefthander (who I got the lower control arms from) sells the sway bar bracket I cut off, so I ordered up two and will weld them in when they arrive. I'll probably wait for one of my machinist friends to help me with the steering arms before I destroy them with an angle grinder. As far as the wheels, I needed to order up some new ones anyway.

Borrowing some scales this weekend and I'm going to "fully" assemble the car, minus things like fluid, lines, gauges, bodywork, etc. Basically the rolling chassis with suspension, motor, trans, rear, seats and steering. Any guesses as to the weight?

7. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA

Total SWAG....I know my stock Camaro comes in around #3700

1981paul likes this.
  8. 1981paul

Update time!

First off, I wrapped up the front sway bar, by adding the tabs to the contorl arms.

[​IMG]

The good news is they do not hit the tie rod at full lock, by just a hair. The bad news is actually not that bad. I wasn't drawing a penis on the steering arm - that's simply the little bit that I need to clearance to get around the sway bar bushings for full lock. There is plenty of meat in the steering arm, so this shouldn't be an issue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, for the bit I was most interested in. Weight.

I installed the seats, core support, radiator, steering, and fuel cell in order to get an idea of where things stand. There are still plenty of bits to go on the car, but the idea here was to get a rough idea so I know where to build my ballast racks and so I'd have a good idea of how much ballast I need. Bodywork wise, there is no more sheet metal to go on the car. Everything (front clip, hood, deck lid, doors, etc) is fiberglass.

[​IMG]

It's pretty rad seeing the car in this state - it's the most "car" it's been in years.

So, the moment I'm sure you've all been waiting for.

[​IMG]

2184lbs. About where I expected the car to end up. That's over 800lbs short of the minimum weight, but as I mentioned, there is still a lot to go. I'm hoping that the finished car, before ballast, will end up at 2600lbs, and I think that's pretty realistic. The good news is the remaining 400lbs of weight get to go where I want it.

9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Damn I’m good!

1981paul likes this.