Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

Aside from a few small tweaks for clearance, etc, and final welding, the exhaust is all wrapped up.

Got my tight radius 90 for the drivers side in the mail, and refilled the gas to tack things together. Keep in mind that as you look, the car is currently at full compression, so the driveshaft is up as high as it will ever go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once that was taken care of, I could work on getting the exhaust out of the car. The "tailpipes" actually came together pretty well and I'm really into the look.

[​IMG]

I then bolted up the flare and clearanced it. I will be adding a SS heat shield to protect the paint and fiberglass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Side exit looks great!

3. 1981paul

Tiny update. I got an early birthday present.

[​IMG]

John Wright likes this.
  4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
  5. 1981paul

After waiting for what felt like forever (Real kept delaying), my new rear wheels have arrived. Ron and Sonya Ver Mulm from R&S Racing are awesome. Sonya was extremely patient with me when I emailed once a week trying to find out when they would arrive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16x14 with 7" backspacing. Dogs for scale.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have time to mount the radial slicks yet, but I couldn't resist bolting one up to check it out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have some exhaust stuff to wrap up, then it's off to finish the welding and prep for firewall panels, then a self imposed paint jail. I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

You have a great looking project there. I was wondering when you finally put the front end on the car.If you could combine the factory Z-28 front spoiler with a splitter. Have you also seen the Roadster Shop 1970 Camaro "Rampage" Race cat. for ideas. I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Pro-Touring car So it nice to see other 1978-81 builds. I `m attaching a picture on just how extreme they could go on Camaro race cars. Its a 1981 IMSA race car ,They were big block powered And Good Luck on your biuld,

Attached Files:

7. 1981paul

The problem is any lower front aero can't go past the profile of the front nose, so those two examples stick out too far. I'll be doing a traditional splitter much like this:

[​IMG]

The Roadster Shop Camaro is insane. I wish I had half those skills.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I thought I seen something like that before .Probably even the car pictured .It all depends on the class rules. There are other cars at this site that are similar to your.If you look through the picture gallery.

1981paul likes this.
  9. 1981paul

Micro-update. I like my legs. I want to hang on to them as long as possible, so I added a little protection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This also provides a little strength to the middle of the car where I cut through for the trans tunnel. The driveshaft isn't fully in the trans in this photo (due to an issue with yoke length), but it has plenty of clearance.

I also buttoned up some clearance related stuff on the exhaust, and when I get back from vacation it goes off to get tigged up by Larry.

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    You won't have issues with traction,holy steamrollers!