BBC Oil Cooler / filter options ?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 67johnny, Nov 20, 2017.

1. 67johnny

67johnny Member

Apr 14, 2016
    vancouver
    Hey all.
    Searched this one up on the site and found nothing to current.
    I am a big believer in oil coolers.
    All the trucks I have use them and they work well as I tow alot.
    That said, I get the need for thermostatic control and have seen units like this one available>
    https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=2270

Biggest drawback is they are pricey.
    There must be an option for using an auto wrecker piece you would think.

Any suggestions on a good donor choice would be much appreciated!
    Thanks.:cool:

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Have you tried to make up your own,Check with Trans Dapt .Look at pictures of race cars engine bays . You don`t have to buy it all at once.Just decide on a system then buy the pieces as you can afford it.Thats the way I built mine.

SRGN likes this.
  3. 67johnny

67johnny Member

Apr 14, 2016
    vancouver
    What did you use to regulate the oil temp? Did you look at any of the factory GM offerings? Pics?
    Thanks.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

You can run a temp gauge in your oil pan .I have a Milodon 7 quart road race pan in mine .Twin Trans Dapt oil filter kit . I run twin oil filters with a B & M oil cooler with a fan.(I made my own box out of aluminum diamond plate )You can run a thermostatic switch .But I have an over ride switch on mine. I ran braided line and fittings on mine, With a temp gauge mounted in my 6" cowl hood .I bought the pieces and put mine together from the local Honest Performance Speed parts store.My car has a 377 cubic inch 500 HP small block.With 15 LBS plus of boost,Chevy I look at all the local CAN AM "Vintage Racers" for Ideas. And I ask the racers as well. There are multiple basic kits out there You can customize them to fit your application <I also run remote power steering cooler and filter as well. 130044932860518017_26257430996_o (1).jpg

5. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
  6. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I've got the adapter for a oil cooler off of an 85 RV 454. Is that the kind of thing you are looking for? It basically goes between the block and the filter and has two ports for hoses or tubes. Do you want pictures?

7. 67johnny

67johnny Member

Apr 14, 2016
    vancouver
    Wow ...that improved racing piece is top notch for sure!
    Da_Raabi. I would like to see a pic of the early GM cooler stuff for sure.
    Thanks.

8. 67johnny

67johnny Member

Apr 14, 2016
    vancouver
    Well ...I have this sorted out IMHO.
    I talked with a lot of folks about a good affordable setup and it looks like Derale has the perfect thermostatically controlled sandwich style adapter for big and small blocks Chevys.
    Here is the link> https://derale.com/products/filtrat...sandwich-adapter-o-ring-3-1-2-diameter-detail

I have found them online for under 35 bucks.(jegs/summit) http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false
    Not worth a trip to the boneyard!
    I will be using one of the adapters with a b+m cooler and a fan plumbed in with some steel braided line and 8 AN fittings.
    Am sure it will be a great upgrade to the cooling system.