battery vent for trunk mount

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by ULTM8Z, Feb 15, 2018.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I'm noticing a little build up of white powder on the floor pan around the battery area. Battery is mounted off on the far right side of the trunk.

It's an Optima red top. I'm guessing I probably need to vent it.

What are you trunk-mounted battery guys doing to vent your batteries?

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Optima red tops are sealed batteries, I don't think they need to be vented. Seeing mixed reports online

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    They have what appear to be vents on the top. All I know is i'm getting that white crusty residue that's associated with battery induced corrosion, only around the battery area.

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been running Optima Red Top batteries in my trunk mount battery set up for going on 14 plus years . I've never had any white corrosion build up anywhere on the battery or on the battery tray

Never had or will need a vent with a Optima battery

Blown Camaro likes this.
  5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep they're a sealed mil spec battery !!

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Is it showing up around the mounting hardware? Galvanic corrosion possibly? Dissimilar metals?

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I'm in the same boat with Chuck, Optima red top in the truck for about the past 15 years. I've never seen any type of corrosion around the battery box.

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    That's what I thought too, John. My setup consists of a plastic battery tray mounted on some spacers to level it. Battery is out in the open, not in a box.

Originally I was just running generic "Home Depot" fasteners and hardware. But thinking about galvanic corrosion, I switched to stainless steel. So now I essentially just have bare steel hardware against steel floor pan (albeit the steel floor pan is painted black). I also sealed the hardware against the floor pan with some silicone thinking perhaps the tire could be kicking water up into the well (when I go over a puddle or something) and somehow leaking in through the fastener holes.

Attached Files:

9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
  10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    When we moved my son's Camaro's battery to the trunk, we used an NHRA approved case and ran the vent tube down through the plastic plug in the trunk drop-off panel.

Standard battery, not an Optima.