Battery, Duralast vs Autocraft Gold?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by tom3, Dec 11, 2009.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Looking for a battery for the IROC, machine has to crank 10 or 12 revs to start usually. Getting cold out and the old Diehard is five years old now. Went to Sears, Diehard is 90 bucks or 115 for the Diehard gold. I've always bought Diehards but that is getting out of hand pricewise. Looking at A-zone's Duralast Gold or the Advance Autocraft Gold. Both about the same price and rating. Anyone have experience with either? Any comments good or bad? Either made in USA?

2. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Georgia
    I just bought the big duralast for my truck for $90. It had the original delco in it from 04.

3. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    You got a Costco membership? Their Kirkland Signature brand is cheap- about $50 last I bought one. Stupid long warranty- something like 36 month free, out to 84 mo pro-rate. Made by Johnson Controls for them (they make Interstate, too, IIRC).

4. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I brought the Duralast Gold 84 month in 99-00 for my Ford Ranger and it was still cranking strong when I sold the truck last year. Not sure about the Autocraft. To me a lot depends on the customer service--if the battery does fail can you walk in and walk out without receipts, looking up your history etc.

5. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Walmart batteries have a 3 yr free replacement warranty if you get the 'big" one. Runs like $75 and worth it. Most of the time you just take it back at year 2 and get it replaced.....

6. 81camarosport

81camarosport Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Akron, Ohio
    Autocraft gold I only say that cause I work for advance and I can show you all that we have a pallet of cores with 70% of autozones batteries on it.

7. Spot_remover

Spot_remover Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Murrayville.Ga
    Duralast is the best batteries i have used. I went through 2 diehards in my truck, dead cells. Sears replaced them but when the third one craped i went duralast and its been kicking strong for a while. In my bass boat i replaced all the batteries with 2 deep cycle die hard batteries, and one starting die hard battery, again they all crapped out within a year. i put in duralast marine batteries and they have performed awesomely. Guys at sears were A-holes when i tried to return my last die hard too. they said i had a drain in my boat so it wasnt there problem that the battery was always dead. Funny thing is, the Duralasts doesnt die in between uses the way the diehard did.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  8. marauder64ky

marauder64ky Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Falmouth, KY USA
    I used to use Diehard batteries exclusively. Spent alot of money there. Last one that went bad, they refused to replace it. Gave me a really hard time. Wanted a certified mechanic to sign off that my charging system wasn't at fault. It was, in fact a bad battery of course. Haven't spent a penny at Sears since. Bought the big Walmart battery and its been doing fine for 6 months now.

9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

those duralast batteries area freakin joke !!!! ............ had a 1000amp dual post battery last only less that a year before it went bad . guess they're not designed for trunk mount applications and it had a defective plate which caused it sweat like crazy all over the trunk floor

10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    I agree with Todd.

If the battery doesn't have a pouch on the side of it for the receipt, get one.

I'm not going to lie, I've used Walmarts Extreme batteries which have a phenomenal warranty
    on them as well, but I've killed 3 of them......they kinda suck. Warranty is top notch tho.