Basement finishing- attaching drywall to underside of stairs?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Todd80Z28, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    So, my never-ending (because I'm never home to end it;) ) basement finishing project is up to the stairwell leading down to the basement. After debating as to whether I should try to rip down wallpaper, patch holes, and try to sand down badly mudded joints, I decided to rip down the drywall, and hang new.

How do I attach the drywall to the underside of the stairs? I have the typical pre-fab staircase, and the stringers on either side extend about 1/2" below stair undersides. Since the stringers are more than 30" apart, I figured I should run a board up the center of the stairs to attach the drywall to.
    1/2" boards aren't easy to come by, and probably wouldn't hold a screw right anyways. Also, how do I attach said board to the underside of the treads, anyway?

Thanks, I'm getting close to finishing. Well, not really. I've ignored the bathroom space thus far.:rolleyes:

2. Battmann

Battmann Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2007
    North Chili, NY
    i would probably run boards (something thicker than 1/2") perpendicular with the stringers and use those to screw to. i know it's more work than just putting a thin support in the middle, but it will make for a stronger attachment point. also, i don't think you'll have a problem attaching the drywall right to the underside of the stairs. i've seen that done before.

3. cam80

cam80 Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2003
    savannah, GA USA
    How about running some backers horizontally up the back side of the stringers instead? Cut some 2x4s down to whatever the inside measurement is (30"?) and attach them 16-24" on center. Should be sturdy enough to hold the rock. Also use construction adhesive on the backside of the rock to give it extra hold.

Beat me to it!

4. Battmann

Battmann Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2007
    North Chili, NY
    another idea kind of similar to what Cam80 said - get some 1" metal hat channel and mount them perpendicular to and on the face of the stringers at 16" on center. then mount the drywall to that. lots of options to get your project done!

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Vibration from going up & down the stairs will kill it. IMO use wood (paneling, furniture grade plywood, etc..

6. Paint Fumes

Paint Fumes Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2004

+1!!!

7. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Sep 3, 2006
    gone crazy
    If the stairs move enough to crack drywall on them they need fixed. They should not vibrate.

8. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    1 by 2 furring strips carefully nailed with short 2 1/2 inch nails into the horizontal stringer and screw the sheet rock to the furring strips

9. Shawn

Shawn Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Graham, WA, USA
    I like the hat track. Easy to use.

10. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Frame in a small closet or something to make that space useful?