"Barn Find" 1971 Z28 I inherited, looking for info.

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Squeaky192, Aug 19, 2014.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Rear Z28 Emblem
    70-71 is metal
    72-73 is a foil decal

2. gary bickel

gary bickel Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2013
    fort worth tex
    barn find

Squeaky192 I have one just like it thats almost finished on a full resto if I can help you I will be glad to been through it all I hope or most of it anyway. Gary[​IMG]

3. Squeaky192

Squeaky192 Veteran Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    The car is missing the rear emblem for sure. It's been painted on, so I wonder if they just left it off at that point.

gary_bickel, awesome. I'm not positive when I'm going to get it down here. Part of me wants to get it running and driving and slowly work on it. Part of me wants to save up and have someone local in Kansas I know well do the paintwork. So I'm just debating. The soonest it would probably be down is next June. :(

4. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Update: Roommate offered on a house with a 3 car garage and it was accepted, so sometime in May I'll get the car down here finally.

Other than pics my bro sends me (a couple I've posted below) and looking at it the few times I make it up north, I haven't had any chance to really look it over. Goal is to disassemble the interior, clean the hell out of it, re-wire it, and slowly work on it as money allows.

Pic my brother sent me when they were rearranging things:
    [​IMG]

It sitting next to my '66 wagon that needs to be made into a gasser:
    [​IMG]

The grill is messed up which kinda bummed me out with how expensive even a reproduction one is, but my dad sumbled across an extra grill/surround/nose piece, etc. out there.

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    I keep hearing collectors talk about "patina" and that car sure has it. Nice find. I suspect your connection with Painless might be a huge help at times too, should be some handy helpers there? I'd probably vote with the restore guys rather than the modify and upgrade voters. Sure don't see them like this very often, if ever. What does it look like underneath?

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I would like to see more pics!

Depending on the intent of the car, leaving it as is will yield more value as an original.

7. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Crawling around in the dirt and looking underneath, the pans and stuff looked good. I'll know more once I get it down here and get the carpet out and such. Car never left California until it came to where it sat inside on our farmland.

I just want to slowly get the interior good and get it driveable. The idea of a cammed 5.3/4L60 and just enjoying driving it while keeping the original motor safe is still tempting. I'm sure I'll try and get it going and enjoy the LT1 initially in it though.

I change my mind about 7 times a day, at least I'll have it down here in front of me to help influence my decisions. :)

8. Grints

Grints New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have a 1970 Z28 with the COPO spoiler (3 piece) with the build sheet to prove it. I was concerned that I do not have the emblem between the stripes and should it be there? To suggest that maybe it shouldn't, there are no holes in the spoiler to allow it to be fitted, or maybe it should not have got one with this combination.

Further, it appears that the "Z" had the stripes run off the edge of the spoiler, but until seeing this one, I was not sure. So does anyone know what is correct, both with the emblem and stripes?

9. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    This car has been re-sprayed, so I don't know if I'd go off of it for comparison.

10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    Tall spoiler was a decal and probably fell off