"Barn Find" 1971 Z28 I inherited, looking for info.

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Squeaky192, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Squeaky192

Squeaky192 Veteran Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I've been doing tons of research on here and other forums, trying to verify some things on this car.

My uncle used to deliver cars, and came across a lot of great stuff he would pick up on the road. I fell in love with this '71 long ago. My uncle passed earlier this year, and my dad knew I had always loved the 2nd gens.

Basically, the car has sat inside as long as I can remember. It's dirty, but completely rust free. Car has a 350 and TH400. As far as I can tell, it's a true Z28, and it has literally sat since 1994.

Car has been repainted from what I can tell, but originally was yellow with black interior. It was a Van Nuys car, so no RPO code for stripes/Z28. Somebody began switching the interior over for whatever reason.

Anything else I should be looking for to verify?

Here's an album, don't mind the dirt :p :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dash is nasty, maybe from moth balls. Seemed to wipe off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. azkeebler

azkeebler Veteran Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Manteca, ca.
    Pretty nice score !!

Looks legit to me, with heavy duty radiator without A/C,gauges, valve covers and Power brakes. Of course, all that could be added. Does it have a floor mounted gas pedal? Check for build sheet under the rear seat?

Either way, who cares, just enjoy it!

3. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Feb 7, 2013
    bradenton fl.
    Cool story, your a lucky guy! Nice ride. I hope he has a title for it.

4. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Plan on checking for the build sheet. I actually just moved to Fort Worth, TX a few months back, and am currently about 6.5 hours away from it to check on stuff.

My uncle always stated it was matching numbers, and he was really on top of stuff like that.

Also, I keep going back and forth in my head what I want to do with it build-wise. Obviously I don't want to cut up a true Z28/RS car and 6 speed swap it, etc.

We were a little worried having trouble locating it, but found the clean California title for it. :)

5. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    Wiping drool off my chin. Lucky dog of the day. Congrats. I'd clean it up and enjoy it.

6. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Great find!!! My favourite year and colour as well!!

7. redone000

redone000 Member

Jun 21, 2013
    seattle,wa
    very nice, its great you took the photos with the dust still on it.

8. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Wow what a find I am also new to Camaros and just bought a similiar car to yours A turbo 400 automatic RS/Z28 except mine is in kit form. I am in Grand Prairie not to far from you when you get the car back to Texas send me a private message I would like to see your treasure find. My research shows that there were less than 5K of those cars made out of 114K camaros produced that year.

9. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    In that first pic, it looks like the tail light is on - you may want to make sure that thing isn't alive! ;)

Great Find! Congrats and welcome to the forum!

10. Squeaky192

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks everyone.

I've been going a few different directions in my head, not in a huge rush as I don't intend on ever getting rid of the car. I actually moved down here from Kansas to take a job with Painless, and my buddy and I had talks of getting the car ready for the Power Tour not next year, but in 2 years. Just a kind of cool from barn find to road trip deal.

The car is supposed to be matching numbers, and my uncle was on top of this kind of stuff, so I'm sure it is.

With that said, the idea now is to pull the solid lifter 350 and TH400 out and safely stow it. I want to do a mild built LQ4 and a stalled 4L80, suspension, a good set of 17" wheels, and enjoy the thing. Basically, make it fun to drive, but keep every stock piece and don't do anything that I can't reverse.

Also, with it being originally black interior, I'd like to swap that back.