Bare metal whats next?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by JOEY72camaro, Mar 3, 2018.

1. JOEY72camaro

JOEY72camaro New Member

May 3, 2016
    Hey looking for some recommendations on car primers. The car is sanded down to bare metal I was going to just spray automotive sandable primer and body work

2. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Oviedo, Florida
    Wipe it with a solvent based degreaser and follow with a dry towel. The waterborne stuff isn't as good and can cause adhesion issues. Blow it off and spray it with a quality epoxy or direct to metal urethane from a major company. I like Sherwin Williams (specifically the Genesis DTM Urethane) but there are cheaper primers available. Finish 1 is decent but I'm not sure if you can apply it to bare steel without an etching primer. It does cost less though. Don't use a generic "automotive primer" since it's probably lacquer and probably not going to work very well.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    If you are doing it yourself, I would recommend the Southern Polyurethane line of products (SPI). http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php
    Very high quality and the forum and owner really helps with answers. Delivered to your door in a day or so.
    I'm not a paid shill, just a satisfied customer. You will see their name on most of the car forums.
    Start with epoxy primer and then go to a 2K urethane primer. High build (think of sprayable bondo, but better) if you need to fill alot of blemishes. Plan on spraying the build primer within 24 hours of the epoxy.

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

SPI Epoxy over sandblasted body

Underfloor was reduced 10% and applied wet to produce the nice sheen

20170719_150722.jpg imagejpeg_0001002003.jpg imagejpeg_0001002003004005.jpg SPI.Under.Floor.jpg

5. JOEY72camaro

JOEY72camaro New Member

May 3, 2016

so i should be good if i use a 2k epoxy primer? thanks for all the help guys

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  6. camolaa_69

camolaa_69 Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Australia
    What you need to do now is to apply deoxidiser or known as acid wash. When ever you are going bare metal, you want to make sure the surface is 100% sterile. Mix deoxidiser with prepsol or water and sand the metal with scotch brite pad. Once that is done, then wash it down with prepsol (wax n grease remover). It is a no brainer to use 2k epoxy primer as it is far superior than enamel or acrylic surface primer. In Australia, we call it hi fill 2k primer as it has a build on it to remove imperfections. Any well known brand epoxy primer will do the job, such as (chromax which is dupont, glasurit, sherwin williams, ppg, standox, max meyers, debeers, mipa, spi etc.). If you have a look at my build on camaro in Oz, you can see some photos. I used mipa hifill, and recently I had to hifill couple other parts in chromax. I will be painting my car in chromax as I will be getting a good deal. Ring up your local automotive suppliers and get some prices.

If you need to tips, look up youtube channel the gunman. He is a spray painter and provides excellent videos.

7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    good info, Im about to take down car to metal. I will be doing same thing. Ive been seeing a lot of love for SPI.

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    So when you are talking about a deoxidiser is that a rust remover product like OSPHO or is it something completely different.

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Along this topic, isn't the usual "best practice" to get a urethane primer on the epoxy primer within 7 days? Otherwise you have to scuff the epoxy primer as it will skin and the following coatings will not adhere properly. Scuffing a whole car just does not sound like fun.

10. camolaa_69

camolaa_69 Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Australia
    Correct. It is indeed that phosphoric acid is the active ingredient. It should be a yellow colour and smells horrible.