'Balls to the wall'

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by berg2695, Feb 19, 2018.

1. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    I've been watching a show called 'DOGFIGHTS' lately. Apparently it used to appear on the History Channel but now it is being shown on one of the broadcast sub-channels in my area. Very fascinating show! In one episode the moderator used the expression "balls to the wall" and I thought: That's a little unexpected for broadcast TV. I have always thought that phrase referred to the obvious anatomical bits. I guess I need to study more military history because the narrator went on to explain that when the balls on top of the throttle levers were pushed all the way forward (toward the firewall, I guess), the pilots called it 'balls to the wall'. I will now consider the phrase 100% socially acceptable. I bet a lot of you already know this, but I did not. Live and learn...

71RSLS likes this.
  2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    It meant a alot in my youth, Accept was a AC/DC sound alike but they rocked!

3. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    Great band

4. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    if you liked them then, you may like this. This is from a few years ago and was pretty darn good.

5. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    If you liked the BALLS TO THE WALLS, you may like the meaning of BALLS OUT.

6. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    Ok, then... well... never mind.

7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    This refers to the governor on a steam engine. Two heavy balls are attached to the engine so that as engine speed increases, the centrifigal force of the flywheel causes the balls to rise. As the balls top out, they govern (limit) the engine, thereby controlling maximum engine speed. "Balls out," then, refers to running the engine at maximum speed.
    The engineer was running the train at a "balls out" pace while trying to make up time.

71RSLS likes this.
  8. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    Interesting. Thanks!