Bad vibration

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Fbomb, Jun 10, 2017.

1. 1970_Z28_503

1970_Z28_503 Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Oregon
    It's so much fun chasing these vibrations right. When I first got my car it was really bad between 3000-4000 RPM. I started by rebalancing tires and that helped a little. I replaced the ring and pinion and U joints and had driveshaft balanced, got a little better. Found some metal to metal contact on one of the exhaust pipe hangers and fixed that and saw an improvement. Lastly I switched out the incorrect motor mounts for OEM. The vibration got smaller and smaller in the RPM range everytime I fixed something to the point where it's now only noticed in a few 100 RPM range.

But occasionally it comes back and is more noticeable, much more. I am inclined to think a lot of the issue is the 47 year old bushing in the car and the exhaust hangers not soaking up natural. I am out of ideas other than dropping the trans and checking flywheel and pilot bushing. But at this point I think it unlikely that's the issue given the intermittent nature of vibration now.

2. joseph lamb

joseph lamb Member

Jan 1, 2017
    tampa florida
    Motor mounts ????? are they solid ???

3. joseph lamb

joseph lamb Member

Jan 1, 2017
    tampa florida
    and I just fixed a buddys car that had a terrible exhaust pipe up against the floor , undriveable !!

4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I still have one with my 70 Z28.

I changed the tires to radials and the vibration diminished greatly...but some is still there.

I think the solution lies in the wheels and rear axle. I just don't know where.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Do not ever use the CF Clutch with the band and
    weights. The weights are a gimmick and do chit all
    except bind and jam. Last year a friend of mine had
    one that jammed up his pressure plate until it barely
    ran. I R&R the Muncie and we installed a diff clutch
    kit and alls fine.