backup lights ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by z28KID, Nov 24, 2002.

1. z28KID

z28KID New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    SC
    i have a 1980 z28 and when i put in any gear the backup lights come on.can anybody tell me what controls these lights and where it is located?thanks

2. michael

michael Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    Hopewell Jct.
    usually on the tranny

3. 77CamaroSC

77CamaroSC Veteran Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Northglenn, Co USA
    its one of the set of wires attached to your neutral safety switch. i found them while putting in my mega shifter

------------------
    1977 Camaro Sports coupe
    350 +.030
    flat top pistons
    AFR1 195cc alum. heads
    Preformer RPM intake
    670cfm Street Avneger
    Dynomax headers and sidepipes
    TH-350 w/ stage II shift kit
    stock tourque converter
    3.08 open diff.

4. Mz28att

Mz28att Veteran Member

It is on the column under the dashboard. The switch has a 2-wire plug. I think its pink and green. The switch comes out by removing the 2 screws on the column. There is a tab on it that moves with the linkage to indicate which gear. The part is around 12 bux at Autozone. Start there.
    MaTt

5. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Allentown PA
    is it in the same spot for floor shift sticks?

6. kid's_mechanic

kid's_mechanic Member

Nov 7, 1999
    Webster, NY
    The back-up light switch is under the dash on top of the steering column. It is connected to the transmission so that you cannot remove the key unless you are in reverse (manual transmission). If you grab the steering column housing just as it comes out of the dash (behind the ignition key) and rotate it one way the key will not be able to be removed from the ignition lock and the back-up lights should be out. The other way the key can be removed and the back-up lights are on. It is common for cars with headers to have had this linkage removed as it often interferes with them. If the linkage exists, mis-adjustment can cause lights on, as can a bad switch. If the linkage is missing some alternatives are wiring in a toggle switch on the dash or wiring in the manual transmission switch (next to the reverse shaft) if it has one.
    Good Luck.

7. ahw2698

ahw2698 Member

Nov 12, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Is the switch also located on the column for a 70 with 4 spd manual trans?

8. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Allentown PA
    Alright i think i know what you're talking about. my donor cars steering console has a little lever thing on the engine side of the fire wall that can be pushed up and down. i'm guessing thats the link. my new car looks like its had that all replaced though, anywhere to look for wires?

9. z28KID

z28KID New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    SC
    ok,thanks guys i found the switch and fixed the problem.just needed a little adjusting.the wires were green and pink.thanks again

10. pjtimmer

pjtimmer Veteran Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Netherlands, Holland
    Hi I have the opesite problem, my link arms are not perfect anymore and that caused some trouble with the steerlock and park and all, so I took out the safty swicth and problem solved, for now I don't wnat to spend money on it, but I have to get the back uplichts working again, I planned to make a rolover swicth underneed the shifterhandel, now problem with that, but what are those 2 wires on the swicht your talking about? green and pink, if they get connected to eachother the lights goes on? or are those negative or postive, what to connect to get the backup lights on again?
    thanks
    gr Peter

------------------
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~pjtimmer/