Backup Light wiring

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by DrPepper, Oct 11, 2017.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    My 81 Z28 had the backup light switch on/in the transmission. (I say that because the neutral safety switch has only 2 terminals and there is no backup switch on the console shifter)
    The transmission was replaced and now I can't locate the b/u light wires. The new transmission does not have the b/u switch on it.
    I assume the wires went from the orig transmission switch to somewhere inside a wire loom in the engine compartment.
    Can anyone provide pointers on how, or what I can do to locate those wires???

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    If it's an automatic... The back drive linkage from the transmission to the steering column controls the back-up lights.
    It's part of the park/neutral safety switch attached to the top of the steering column (under the dash) near the firewall.

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Back up light wires are green and pink and should be found under the dash. If your car was an auto trans they may wound up under the center of the dash as they originally went inside the console to the shifter. If it's a M/T they should be near the base of the steering column. Hope this helps.

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    Update:
    Problem is resolved. Thanks for the useful information.
    The problem started when I was given incorrect info from the previous owner. Then I added to the mess by 'not' doing an adequate job of troubleshooting. Shame on me...
    Anyway, I have backup lights and now I'm on to more wiring to complete installation of my Dakota Digital gauge cluster.

5. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    so where did you find the wires?