Back to factory gauges

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Petescamaro, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Petescamaro

Petescamaro Member

Aug 16, 2014
    ACT
    My 1972 SS has the Dakota Digital dash and I want to swap it back to the correct U-14 Gauges and I am trying to find the "water temperature sending unit" and correct wiring require, also which side of the engine will it be located on.
    If anyone has done the switch back to the factory gauge any advise or list of parts that I will require would be great

Thanks

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Temp sender is a BWD WT359 found at O'Reillys auto part. The sender is usually located in the driver side cylinder head. The wire a green one from the sender to the firewall.

3. ThomasD.

ThomasD. Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Just a quick ? Were there any issues with the Dakota Digital Dash? Or are you just restoring to original. I'm contemplating installing one in my rebuild and was wondering who's used them and their take on them. Thanks

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    I installed DD gauges in my Elky and loved them. Never had a problem. I also used the DD GPS speedometer. It gave me the ability to change rear gears, as well as wheel & tire sizes without having to wonder if the speedometer was accurate.
    I'm currently working on an 81 Z28 and have a DD gauge cluster sitting on my work bench. It's going into the Z28.

5. ThomasD.

ThomasD. Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Good to know. After spending 8k+ on rebuilding the original heads and engine of my wifes '70 Lt1, I'm weary of trusting the stock gauges and really don't like the look of a separate gauge cluster somewhere else on the dash. Haven't heard anything negative about the DD dashes. Thanks

6. Petescamaro

Petescamaro Member

Aug 16, 2014
    ACT
    They came with the car, so in regards to installation I have no idea.
    However they work fine, I just don't like the look of them