axle tube seals

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Schubitzky, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Schubitzky

Schubitzky Veteran Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Maryland
    I've been having problems with my axle seals leaking due to high lateral loads during autocross runs. I've been looking for a solution and found this company that makes seals that sit inside the axle tube to keep fluid from running to the end. They say that many oval track guys use them, but wondered if anybody has used them in a street car application. I run 20 - 25 autocross events a year and 3k - 5k street miles. Has anybody used them? Does it starve the outer bearing causing failure?

http://sealsit.com/product-category/axle-seals/

edit: I called them and they told me I have to run a sealed bearing at the axle end in order to use these. Has anybody sourced sealed cylindrical roller bearings for a 8.5" 10-bolt?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Yep, Frud weld on ends with sealed press fit bearings.

3. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Loganville, Ga
    I had the same issue with my Camaro (and an El Camino). I changed out the stock plastic vent for a hose fitting (had to tap hole, did it while it was apart) and ran a hose up high with a fuel filter on it (to keep out bugs). After that, it didn't leak anymore. Plastic vent was clear, but the hose fitting had a larger opening. Just something to check before changing a bunch of stuff out.

4. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    You can't do either of those in your application. You can not run the seals inside the tubes because the stock axle bearings MUST have oil from the center of the housing. You can not run sealed ball bearings with the Ford ends because they will not hold up to the high side loads of auto cross. What you can do is use the Moser 7900 or 7900FM ends (drum brakes or disc brakes) and use the Ford tapered roller bearings. This will require welding the ends on using a housing fixture and new axles to accept the Ford bearings. And you can not use the seals in the axle tubes with the tapered roller bearings because they also require oil from the center housing.

5. Schubitzky

Mar 10, 2003
    Maryland
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into the Moser ends and f*rd bearings. What keeps them from leaking the same as the stock GM setup?

do 12-bolts have the same issues as the 10? Nobody else I run with seems to have this problem and I'm not sure why.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  6. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    The 10 bolt and 12 bolt use exactly the same axle bearings and seals.

7. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    I found out when I bought my rear end kit that there are two different sizes of axle bearings for a 10 bolt. There is an early small bearing size and larger later size. I can't remember the actual numbers right off hand though so not much help there. If I think of it or find out where I read it, I will post the link here. The kit I bought had the larger of the two and I needed the smaller size. O'Reillys had the correct ones in stock oddly enough.

8. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    All Camaro, Nova and Chevelle 12 bolt and 7.5, 8.2 and 8.5 10 bolt rear ends use the same axle bearings and seals. The Impala and truck 12 and 10 bolt use a larger bearing and seal.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Kind of a simple point but if you're having problem with axle sealing, maybe the axles are pitted or worn? I had that problem my truck and I had to replace the axle.

10. Schubitzky

Mar 10, 2003
    Maryland
    everything is new so its not that. I'm going to try thicker c-clips.