Axle playreplace

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by simso, Jan 26, 2019.

1. simso

simso Veteran Member

hey folks, so part of mycar rust resto was putting new bearings and seals through the diff, it’s a standard 10 bolt 8.5

The right axle has about an 1/8 of an inch play, that is where the axle comes into the diff and is held in with the c clip, a gap of about 1/8 exists and allows the axle to move in and out slightly, the lh side is pretty tight, maybe 1/32 play

It’s a pretty significant clunk moving it in and out with the c clip still fitted

Is this norm or do I need to replace something

Steve
    29423245-BEA3-4EFA-92D2-1E1F4B10B86A.jpeg

15EAA1C8-BA11-4FA7-B0B0-B450C084CE3C.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Pretty much all of them have that play. You can get thicker c-clips but that will only get you so far.

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

I would suspect that the thrust washer behind the axle gear on the right side is worn out due to one wheel burnouts. Wear on the thrust washer, axle gear and the inside of the differential case will increase the axle end play. one wheel burnouts are very destructive to the differential.

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Here is the second part of a two part video on differential rebuild. Tom shows checking the axel play with specs and how to adjust it. Take a look at it. Hope this helps.

5. simso

simso Veteran Member

So thicker c clips are available, that is good to know, I will measure this up.

The centre feels solid,spider gears feel solid, just the axle shaft on the right hand side feels like it has too much in / out travel

How does one check thrust washer wear for the gears?

Steve

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  6. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

You have to remove the gears from the differential. Remove the retaining bolt from the cross shaft and remove the shaft. Rotate one axle and the pinion gears will come out. Then remove the axle gears.

7. simso

simso Veteran Member

So yes it appears the spidergears are a bit worn as well, so the purpose of my rebuild is not mechanical but really rust on the body, I wanted to tidy the suspension and running gear at the same time

I am going to just leave it as it is for now, that is, I have fitted new bearings and seals and brakes and will come back to it after the car is a runner again and on the road. The diff made no noise before and ran quite nice, Everything I want to do diff wise, can be done whilst fitted to the car

Long term, I want limited slip centre, Mosser axles and disc brakes.

Steve

8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Be careful on that slippery slope....my car was running and driving when I started piddling with the "while I have this apart, I'll do this" syndrome. Started out as replacing leaking rear axle seals to having the car tore apart for nearly 15 years...LOL

tom3 and simso like this.