Autocross/Road Race Oil Pan

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by chevy-stu, Jun 29, 2009.

1. chevy-stu

chevy-stu Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2007
    london-england
    I've tried the forums searching to see what others experiences are regarding what oil pan people are using who regularly, or even occasionally autocross or circuit race their camaro, without much luck. The car is mainly a road car with the occasional 'spirited' twisty road drive and track day.

I have a track day booked later in July and want to know if people think my standard Mr gasket oil pan will hold up during the left/right thrashing the car will experience. I have been told by a friend that the small block will have issues with oil starvation and really should fit a special circle track/ roadrace pan with trap door baffles, and not to take the chance with my stock(ish) pan.

what's the general opinion ?

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used to use the Mildon Road Race pan but switched over to the Canton brand pad for standard wet sump pan. Either one of these has great baffling and trap doors to retain the oil near the pick-up!

3. scrapmetal

scrapmetal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Cleburne,Texas
    Scratch my post.Those don't have baffles

4. SR79

SR79 Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Carrollton/Sherman, TX
    We're using the Milodon road race pan, haven't had any trouble with it at all. Haven't gotten to really test it in the twisties, but it hasn't ever given any problems during hard acceleration or braking so far.

http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/road-race-oil-pans.asp

[​IMG]

5. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Patterson, NY
    My Canton pan works great. I've never had any oil starvation problems, no matter how hard I bench race my uninstalled engine!

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Canton RR pan here, it seems to have more room around the oil filter than some of the other brands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chevy-stu

chevy-stu Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2007
    london-england
  8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Canton is outstanding... a wise man would also run a gravity fed accusump.
    I'll warn you, crankcase venting WILL be a problem. I would suggest running a remote breather tank on both sides of the motor
    Like so
    http://www.jazproducts.com/breather_tanks.html

9. chevy-stu

chevy-stu Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2007
    london-england
    Thanks for all the comments, Canton RR pan going on today !!!!!

When you say you'd recommend a breather tank both sides, how will I know I'm having crank ventilation issues ? Oil blowing out of the (currently only single) breather ? I looked at those breathet tank kits but can't any info on where or how that attach. Is it like a normal PCV/breather push on type thing ?