Autocross/Road Race 1979 Camaro Z28

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by OutrunNAScaR14, Sep 21, 2017.

1. OutrunNAScaR14

OutrunNAScaR14 New Member

Mar 12, 2013
    gainesville,ga
    My name is Cody. I'm 22 and started building this car at 19 with the intentions of having a competitive autocross car to compete at local CAM events and Optima Search for the Ultimate Street Car Series, as well as any other Vintage events, while being on a college budget.

The car is currently being ran at a ton of events. This is the second season on the car and things are always changing. It took me 8 months to go from bare shell to driving, but of course it is never finished.

I competed in my first Optima USCA race at NOLA this year in the GTV class. Finished 2nd in autocross, 3rd on the road course, and 4th in speed stop, all on 4 year old Rivals (NOT Rival S's).

I won the 2016 Cruisin' the Coast Autocross.

2016 CAM-T class winner.

The car is ultra competitive for what it is.

Build Breakdown, I built everything in my driveway, roll cage and all. The engine was built in my basement. All my ideas and parts come from circle track Late Model racing.
    SBC 350, .060 over, roller, AFR heads, 7500+ rpm's
    T56 6 speed (First season was a Super T-10 4 speed)
    Custom built roll cage
    Home built 3 link rear suspension (First season was a 4 link)
    Winters Quickchange rearend
    Paint and body done by my dad and I
    C5 style spindles with 5th gen Camaro Brembo's brakes, 4 piston rear calipers
    PTFB upper A arms and 900lb springs (Soon to be coilover front with a wider track width)

4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 12.jpg 15.jpeg.jpg 19.jpeg.jpg 20.jpeg.jpg 23.jpg 71.jpg image4.jpeg.jpg

woody80z28, pecu_83 and HawkX66 like this.
  2. OutrunNAScaR14

Mar 12, 2013
    gainesville,ga
    Recently redesigned the rear suspension to a 3 link from a 4 link

. IMG_5045.JPG IMG_5046.JPG IMG_5047.JPG IMG_5048.JPG

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

4. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    Very nice !! Add a front spoiler

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Looks like you are having all sorts of fun.Good luck to you.

Attached Files:

6. broahnazki

broahnazki Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2014
    los angeles
    Wow dude looks nice!! Good luck with the build. Take as many pics as you can I wish I had.

7. AlbertaZ28

AlbertaZ28 Veteran Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Mcmurray, Alberta
    Awesome looking car Cody. I am interested in your Brembo brake setup. I have 5th gen Camaro Brembos sitting in my garage and plan on mounting them this winter. How did you mount yours? Which spindles did you use? CPP?

8. pecu_83

pecu_83 Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Finland
    Wow! Nice build Cody!

Are you running stock control arms front? If you are on a budget and don´t want to change them you can make them work with a little tinkering. Relocating the UCA little lower and little further back gives you more caster and more dynamic camber wich will help cornering. I agree with 72BIGBLOCK adding a front spoiler helps a lot too :)

There is a TON of wisdom in the pro-touring.com forum written by Ron Sutton: http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...n-amp-Steering-Geometry-for-Track-Performance
    You really should read his posts if you haven´t already. You can have a winning car with a budget if you put in your mind, time and effort!

Keep us posted!

9. OutrunNAScaR14

Mar 12, 2013
    gainesville,ga
    AlbertaZ28, yes they are the CPP C5 style spindles. The 5th gen Camaro Brembo's will not directly bolt on. I had to cut down the flange on the calipers and weld in new bosses and threaded holes to fit the Corvette caliper pattern on those spindles.

72BIGBLOCK, I made a 4th gen Camaro air dam work in the front of mine for now. But I do plan on building a legal splitter soon.

pecu_83, Thanks! I'm running PTFB upper A arms. So they help with more caster. However, when I convert the front to coilovers I am removing the upper A arm mount and will place it in a better location.

IMG_1318.JPG IMG_3099.jpg IMG_3116.JPG