auto steering column with a tremec 6 speed

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by stapleszoo, Nov 6, 2017.

1. stapleszoo

stapleszoo Member

May 1, 2011
    Glastonbury, CT
    I have an 80 changed over to a tremec 6peed but it still has an auto steering column
    (recently rebuilt). The transmission has its own reverse lock out, neutral safety, and backup light switches. In one position- it locks the steering wheel and allows you to remove the key- not sure it I can disable that feature.
    Is there anyway to still use the steering column?

2. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    There's no such thing as a manual or automatic column. I took mine and rotated the lever to the park position and tack welded it the column housing and then cut the lever off.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I just leave mine in park position.

That trans does not have a neutral safety switch. just a back up light switch. you also need a switch to activate the reverse lockout solenoid.

4. stapleszoo

stapleszoo Member

May 1, 2011
    Glastonbury, CT
    Okay thanks - I had been doing bodywork and paint for so long I was not sure, I'm finally at the point I can starting working on the interior again

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

The automatic columns have a neutral safety switch that is controlled by shifter position. The manual cars have the switch on the clutch pedal. I know this because i put an auto column in my 4 speed car, because i thought as 71RS did, thatre was no difference. It works, but now as well as needing to push the clutch to start the car, the shifter has to be in reverse in order for the key to tuen to the start position. With the manual column, i only needed to put the car in reverse to get the to turn all the way off to remove it.

This probably doesnt help your question, I'm just posting to demonstrate my superior knowledge. Not.... Anyways, as 71RS said, rotate the collar until u find the position that allows you to do what you want with the key switch, and fasten it there in a way that it stays without surprising you with a high speed steering lock when you arent expecting it. I guess nobody ever expects that?.

6. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
  7. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    The wiring, switch configuration, and backdrive linkage are different auto vs 4 speed, but there's no such thing as a manual or auto column for 2nd gens.