auto darking welding helmet?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by tims78camaro, Nov 23, 2017.

1. tims78camaro

tims78camaro Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2008
    louisville ky
    i have never use one and im having trouble with it. my problem is it to dark when i weld and when the garage has all the light on it goes dark. can i turn sensitivity all the way down without it hurting my eyes just afraid i will set something to low

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    That sounds to me like the helmet isn't working like it should. Mine will not darken under garage lighting unless I look directly into a very bright light. Your garage lighting shouldn't be enough to make it darken.

3. Crazy4camaro

Crazy4camaro Veteran Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Greenville SC
    The sensitivity has nothing to do with the shade number, you should have a dial with numbers on it for the shade. If not you will have to change the dark lens out with a lighter one. Post a pic of your controls.

4. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    maybe letting the lite get in behind you , try putting on ,over the back of you head,neck,a rag , so lite from over head don't get in. Maybe

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    I'm with the others, check your adjustments.

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Try setting it out in the sun to charge up. And like the others try to adjust and find a different lens to suit your needs.

7. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Almost forgot, make sure there isn't a "grind mode" switch that has been inadvertently switched on. It won't get dark enough if activated and may affect sensitivity as well.

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    On mine I think the grind mode is basically off. And do try different adjustments. These helmets are made to work with various welders, stick weld in thicker metal you'll have a big arc, mig in sheet metal much smaller. Pretty amazing device when it's working right though.

9. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    I believe OSHA standards are a setting of 13 or higher. We had some nice inexpensive Miller hoods at work that only went to either 11 or 12 and they were just not dark enough. You could tell after you had been welding for a bit. I did not like them. Bought some that went higher and they are much better.