Auctions America: Daytona Yellow 1970 Z28

Discussion in 'Auctions and Online Sales' started by Cooldawg, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Angola, IN
  2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Sold for 51,500. Does look like a nice car.
    Its my failing I know, but the "Caution Fan" always makes me cringe when I see that on a '70. You put all that money in one and they can't get that right. I'm just too picky I guess. Even if that was the only thing available, I would sand those letters down and paint over them or something.

3. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Angola, IN
    Nice 70' Z in green sold for $34k in same action. This one was an automatic.

4. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    It's not just you Dave.

5. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    I wonder if it said "I'm Stupid" if more folks would notice?

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  6. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Whats the consensus that the auction one is the same as this one:

http://www.mershons.com/vehicle-det...-z-28-coupe-2100eae544d0487c90d0d5456a27c4d1/

If so, it was a real piece. I went and looked at it for another member here and honestly couldn't see much good about it. It was a "50-50" car. Looked good from 50 feet away and 50MPH. I thought it was a low twenties car at best. It probably is a real 70 Z, but missing many key and expensive parts.

7. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Angola, IN
    A colleague of mine from work saw the green one at a cruise in and said it was nice. Looks like there are a few rough spots for sure, but it's hard to tell given pic resolution.

Restored the right way and with some respect for originality is certainly preferable, but I like em' all.

8. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Further examination of the photos confirms it is the same car I saw. The front of the console has several holes drilled in it for speakers.

I may have been a bit too harsh. If you were looking for a decent driver Z, it may fit the bill. Again, lots of things missing that may not matter to most. To me, not worth 34K as I would be compelled to try and restore it correctly and would have a fortune trying to find the right parts. If you don't care about such things, it may be good for you.

To me, it is best described as a once real Z that was at one time very run down and modded and then went through a quickie "resto" with the sole intent to flip it fast. Attention to detail is lacking but good to take to the local cruise-in.

9. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I hate to say it but I have one those CAUTION FAN shrouds on my 70 but it is temporary till I get the correct shroud restored. I bought it online and when I got it, it had been poorly painted with self etching primer and paint. Looked good in pics but not so when I got it. What pain in the azz to clean up!! Car is still a project so I will keep working on the shroud as time allows.

10. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Angola, IN
    I have a 'caution fan shroud' that does a fine job directing air :).

Hopefully, there aren't a lot of these cars- especially original Z28's- that are being restored hastily for quick flip purposes, but I have no problem at all with non-numbers matching parts as long as they aren't new and made of crap materials. Just my two cents. It takes all kinds, but if they were all numbers cars, the average joe couldn't afford to buy one.

For me, it's the car and the story that comes along with it. The documents are super cool because they can often times allow some of that information to be pieced back together.