ATK HP101 or ATK HP55

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Matt227, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    $250 rebate from chevy on their performance engines till 12-31, just saw it on the chevy website....

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    That ZZ6 base engine , sure looks sweet only $7,000 or turn key for a couple grand more , and look at that torque curve sweet!!

3. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    The ZZ motor I have is the same one except mine came minus the beehive springs. It's a 2012? I have since upgraded to them. The tq comes on just above idle and is real strong by 4000. These motors don't like a lot of timing, or rpm's. Use 93 oct fuel. I have a ptc 2800 stall converter and a AED 750 dp holley. Pypes x pipe 2.5'' system w/ transverse muff fed by some mid length doug's D-port 1.65 primary headers. 350 turbo trans that is built. 3.08 rear w/posi.

4. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Soooo, would you recommend one , or was there something else you wish you would have chosen ?

5. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Depends on how much power you want and how driver friendly you want the car to be. I got the ZZ motor for it's high HP and tq, ease of install and good street manners. Been a great motor. I would buy one again. We all are power hungry, more power is better. But can you use it in your application? IMO 450 HP is about all you can use for a DD. Only other engine I would want is a LS motor, but now your talking big bucks. About double the stroked small blocks costs when done with all new parts.

6. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    I agree, an LS would be nice, however the cost is up there, and I wanted something that I could work on, something I am familiar with, that's why the ZZ looks like the perfect fit,

7. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Header choices are limited with the fast burns. Only a few mfg's making D-port headers. And stock manifolds will have to be port matched. I parts tuned mine looking at highlighting the tq curve. Smaller dia primaries and a gm dual plane mid rise intake manifold. All port matched. A vac secondary carb might give a little more economy, something like s 3310-2 holley. I like the DP carbs for the simplicity and ease of tuning. 750 cfm might be overkill also, but I wanted to go with the guys at AED and that is the carb they suggested. It does run great with it, but is a gas guzzler. But man, you better have it pointed at where you want it go when you hit the pedal. Instant throttle response. No bog or lag. It will get sideways real quick. Ton of low end tq. If you choose to go with another motor use the ZZ specs as a reference for the other build and you can't go wrong.

8. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Thanks for the tips , and it seems like buying GM crate engines is cheaper from places like Scoggin Dickey , and perhaps other GM dealers, any input, there would also be great!!

9. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Got mine from pace performance on a free shipping deal. Seems like I paid 4200? Look around, there are diff prices listed.

10. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    OK, thanks and I will circle back and ask you many more questions once I get ready to purchase, like is it worth it to buy the engine complete, with all the belts and pullys, turn-key or..............HAA HA