ATCO Raceway/Island Dragway Advice (Etown no longer runs Saturday)

Discussion in 'New York Regional' started by czizza, Oct 20, 2016.

1. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    I have been going to Etown, NJ for almost 30 years ... usually spring and fall events some GM vs Import, some GMEFI shootouts, some Chevy vs Ford and always had a good time on Saturday.

About 4 weeks ago a friend of mine (Ford boy) and I want to line up our cars and we wanted to go to Etown on 10/22 ... we are now being told this is a closed event Subaru vs Mitsubishi.

Now mind you ... I have been at exclusive events and we always had extra ... bikes, special cars and just people having fun in the last two lanes.

So I called them up and asked why the change and they told me the do not do test and tune or open events on Saturday any more ... use Sunday or Wednesday night.

I can't use those days because I work my own business and Sunday is the Lords day as well as family day.

So now I have no choice but to drive to ATCO or Island Dragway from Long Island NY an additional hour to ATCO ... Island is closer with an open trailer in tow.

So any advice; Is ATCO nice? Is Island Nice? How do they compare to Etown?

Man I wish LI had a drag Strip ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1709400825995022/

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I love Island, but I am biased. I sense they are much more racer friendly as it is a family run business. I'm not a big racer so i can't really comment further. I know local guys who go to both tracks regularly. A guy in our club is running a track rental on Monday 11/7 at atco and there might still be a few openings if that interests you.

3. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I'll second what Bonzo said, I like Island. But I only live about 10 minutes away from it. I do not get there much at all but when I do I love it because it has that old school dragway feel. Which for someone like me because I'm younger didn't get to experience.

4. udloze

udloze Veteran Member

Mar 30, 2011
    new york
    Island all the way. can't stand E Town. always a great time and are able to get alot of runs in. very friendly place