Are rubber nose camaro values going up?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Kjellian, Sep 18, 2017.

1. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    The 1980 Z28 production was only 45,137...not hundreds of thousands.
    Out of those cars maybe 1/2 still alive.....80 Z28 with under 20,000 miles with all docs and build sheet are pretty rare. I know because I spent a long time searching for one. And just because it's rare doesn't mean it's worth a lot of money.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That is what is important.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Luckily for you a hellcat and a z06 are 6 figure cars so you have some room to go lol

It's simple supply and demand. how many were built is somewhat irrelevant. Its current supply that matters. and demand is up, so prices go up, it's macro economics 101.

The question posed is "are rubber nose camaro values going up?" And the answer is yes, and it's because demand is up.

The prices of other cars, and past production, comparisons and whatever else people are bringing up is superfluous.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    You Get an "A" for the word Superfluous. LOL

BonzoHansen likes this.
  5. iraqivet

iraqivet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Hobart, Indiana
    Rubber bumper nose Camaro's values are also typically based on the type of Camaro it is (Z28, Rally Sport, Sports Coupe, Berlinetta, Type LT)as well. it seems like most buyers want a "True" Z28 compared to other base models. My first car was a '80 Berlinetta. 267 CID, 3 speed auto, 14" tires. Try restoring one of these. Parts are difficult to find becasue most had the small v-8 or V-6 ripped out and a 350 SBC dropped in with a 4 speed manual transmission, not to mention not many owners would restore one. I would love to restore one, but parts are rare. Z-28 parts, stripes, original parts, are out there. I'm building my '80 Z28 to how I want it. Cheaper than restoring it to "show room" new from prices I see. Besides, I've had conversations with other car owners at shows or if they happen to be parked by where I am parked about the value of our cars. I had someone ask me the value of his C-3 Corvette. I told him it depends on the buyer mostly. Your view of the car's value would be based on time spent with it, $$$ spent, and how you treasure it. If you plan on selling it, it is only as valuable as someone is willing to pay. I will agree there seems to be quite a few 78-81 Camaros on Craig's List that the seller wants a sizable amount of cash for a roller needing metal work. If you believe the price is fair or good, there's it's initial value. Build it to the beast you want and pass it down the family tree. That's where my 3 Camaros and 1 Fire Chicken are going. I believe if you build a car back to "original" right down to correctly dated spark plug wires, you will never get the full amount of change you spend on it, and won't make any money on your labor. Look at all the shows on Velocity that do builds and mods. I've never seen the final price except a few times on Phantom Works. If you have to ask, you can't afford it!

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    To restore a car to nut and bolt original...that's 6 figures easy. The guy on Fantomworks has mentioned that to his customers on past shows. I think one was a Corvette. He told him after all the time and money and it's still a $30k car.

7. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    I prefer the look of the rubber bumper series Camaro and that's why I bought one, So I guess the value will depend on people like myself who love this series.

8. d2cheer

d2cheer New Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Belle Plaine, MN
    I don't own mine for "value". The first car I bought was a 1978 Z28 for $3,000. Loved the car it had his/her sunroof which I never see today. I bought my 1979 Berlinetta 4 years ago because I really missed that body style ( I own a 1968 and previously had a 1972 and a 1970) and wanted to get one. Took forever to find one that wasn't a crap pile, stuck $3500 into it and that brings the total to $8000. Could I get $8K?? Maybe, maybe not. Not concerned as it has basically been my daily driver for 3 years. Still love it. Don't care what it is worth.

Oldskool62 likes this.
  9. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    And that's the attitude to have. Different strokes for different folks and who cares if it's going to be worth a lot or not. Some expensive wine tastes like crap.

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think very few of us own our cars for value.....I drive mine and have modded the heck out of it. Being a 1970, many one year only parts that make it unique, but I don't care.