Are rubber nose camaro values going up?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Kjellian, Sep 18, 2017.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    A nice one has doubled in price since on lot. Not bad for a heavily produced car with 195 horse power. I never thought of my z as a investment.

2. The Chucker

The Chucker Veteran Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Iowa
    Investment grade cars are typically super low mile, incredibly original cars. Insurance, maintenance, storage, etc. will eat into any potential return. God forbid you should actually drive them. I bought my car to drive it.

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    budro6968 likes this.
  4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

The EBAY 73 is a survivor with 86,000 miles, A/C if you you value that.....

Mine was a survivor 73 R/S LT with 100K miles.
    I chose to COMPLETELY restore and or slightly modify mine including almost everything
    you can name from rebuilt born with eng, trans and rear diff

I could go on and on but what does it matter now. I need to start a thread
    and eventually will make a list of everything and price the car.

twozs likes this.
  5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    i was just wondering as you have been accumulating parts and stuff for a while . keep us posted .

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    twozs likes this.
  7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    One thing is for sure these rubber nose cars are not in any junk yards around here. The ones on C/L here are pretty much way over priced and some are just A POS that they want too much money for, especially with no title. I keep looking for a whole parts 81 Non T Top though.

8. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Member

May 2, 2009
    Nevada City, CA
    I bought my 1978 Z28 new in July, 1978 and still own it. It is all original except for a few replacements, and I did add an IROC style air dam on it in Jan., 1979. I drive it regularly; it currently has just over 94,000 miles on it and runs as well as it did when new. It still passes smog certs here in California. I paid right around $7,800 for it total price, and I am sure it is worth more than that now after 39 years. It has always been garage kept. I don't consider it an investment, just a fun car to drive. I still love the styling of the 2nd gen Camaros even more than the 1st gens. I get questions about is it for sale every so often.

The Chucker and 74Z28GC3 like this.
  9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    What makes a car valuable or desirable?
    1. Low Production #s
    2. Excellent Condition
    3. Collectability

The only thing the later Camaros have is the style that attracts some people but consider they made hundreds of thousands of them!! (not rare at all). It is funny that you really don't see them in the junk yards, because I'm sure a ton were scrapped and crushed during the "cash for clunkers" and the yards that had to clean up due to soil contamination. Not to mention space is valuable, the yards want room for cars that contain parts customers needs (modern cars). You would be hard pressed to find ANY car from the 70s and 80s or even early 90s in a junk yard around here. In the 60s it was all about horsepower and the cars had all sorts of engine combinations, styles, one-off options, dealer specials etc....Many of them low production or unique on a desirable looking car. (Mopars) Challengers and Cudas are a perfect example....The low production #s, big engines, and style has driven the prices up on these (It would cost a ton to restore too due to rare parts). Now 67-69 Camaros...they are an anomaly and for some reason everyone has to have one! However....Even these cars are not selling for what other makes and model are and I feel that is due to production #s. Heck you want a 69 Camaro....you can practically buy a new one.

I feel once we got in the fuel economy era and horsepower dropped, cars just became cars....I don't think any car produced in mass #s after 1975 will ever be worth anything to brag about. The only value the late 70s cars was with the beholder. You can take a 1979 Camaro, Pro-tour it and have a blast but even modern cars are killing that. You can get a car with tons of horsepower, comfort and style and be had for around $50K. I have that in my 1970 Camaro and still not in the same league as a Hellcat or a Z06

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  10. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    You build a car for the love and the experience if you are looking for an investement go buy a Ferrari and sit on it for a few years.

These cars really are a crap shoot... I used to turn down 70-73 camaro in driving condition for 500-1000 because they used to be plentiful now their getting up there...

Who knew 70-80 porsches would at rocket when you could buy those for cheap back in the day?

Whether it's and investment grade car or just an older vehicle it's always going to be a money pit either way