Are rubber nose camaro values going up?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Kjellian, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Kjellian

Kjellian Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Kootenays, B.C.
    Seeing how the 67-73 camaros have gone up astronomically in recent years, is it inevitable that the 74-81's will as well? I'm just curious as to whether owning a late 2nd gen camaro will be an investment or an endless money pit with no value on the other end should I sell it

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    My opinion, they will go up, but slowly. The values I think are tired to "Musclecar" values which really kind of ended at 1970. In 71 the bottom kind of fell out with the compression dropping. The 71-73's are increasing because basically they look identical to a 70. Note that this is for totally stock or restored to stock cars. If you resto-mod it than all bets are off and it really depends on the quality of workmanship and what you build into it.

Don't get me wrong. I think it will increase but not like a 70 Z28 or L78 or L34 will. Don't put lots of money into it thinking it will pay out. I'm not even sure I should be doing that with my 70. Supply and demand. There seems to be many folks doing this and so there are many cars available so the value is diluted a bit. If I had to buy a 70 now and then do a restore I don't think it would be worth it. Just my opinion. Interested in what others think.

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I own a '79 but I didn't get it to sell at a later date. You could call it a mid-life crisis. I'd owned cars when I was younger and wanted to have one more before I was gone. I've spent money to make it look sharper and run faster but it'll never be a trailer queen. I hope to pass it on to my son once I feel he's responsible enough to take care of it.

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I'm hoping my high quality "driver" 73 R/S restoration will bring very good $$$$ when
    I someday complete it ????

Restored everything R/S 73 small block auto non a/c

5. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    I have been following the prices on 79-81 Z28s for quite some time.
    As 70lt1Z28 implied....Increases in value similar to the earlier 2nd generation models most likely will never happen.
    But the 79-81 Z28 models - especially original "untouched" low mileage cars have came up in price significantly over the past 2-3 years...don't get me wrong...I don't think that any of those 79-81 Z low mileage models are worth the $35,000 to 39,000 dollars that are being posted online by dealers, but the cars are moving up and overall are a good investment _FOR FUN _ I would not spend my kids college fund on one and hope to get rich 20 years from now :)

6. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    I agree that the high performance models in 1970 & 1971 will go up enough in value that you could re-coupe some of what you could spend to restore them, but IMO, I would think that the Z/28 and SS 396 would be the only ones with a significant increased value potential.
    I think that any original, low mileage 2nd generation will slowly increase in value, but there are tons of them once you get to the 78 -81 years.
    I bought my 79 Z/28 used with 3k miles in September 79 for $5,900.00 -It only has 30k miles now and is all original.
    After owning it for 38 years, I'm sure I can get more than I paid for it in 1979, but it won't let me retire earlier LOL.
    I just enjoy jumping in it, and feeling like a 23 year old kid shifting that 4 speed.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Rubber Bumpers are not "investment material", as a project.

Some people will get a good deal on an original, low mileage and well cared for car which they can flip for a small profit. But it's hard to do unless you're a car dealer with space and time for messing around with an old car.

IMO, If you have to spend more than a couple thousand dollars to restore a rubber bumper Camaro to factory specs... It will be hard to recoup. (Unless the car was "free".. Donated to you or inherited.)

PalmbchZ28 likes this.
  8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    In general, we were just talking about this at a car show yesterday. Talking to a guy with a 69 Z with 13,000 mi. Still has original tires. When this generation of collector is done, rubber bumper or not, the interest isn't going to be there like it is right now. And he's a dealer. Do it for the love of the car, make it what you want, but don't just throw money and parts at it. It has no bearing what you have in the car, just what someone is willing to pay should decide to sell it.

budro6968 likes this.
  9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Agreed on this. I think what you will have to do in the not to distant fiture is to have a car that is somehow exceptional in your local area. Be it a restomod or numbers matching resto you have to make it somehow stand apart from others in terms of quality.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Yes they are appreciating. They will never catch the older ones but return rate might be higher for a while.

The more I think about it the more I think the market is going to dissolve in 20 years, give or take 5 years. But I digress.