Are LS1 fans still the best?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by CorkyE, Jun 21, 2019.

1. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I reinstalled the A/C this winter, got caught up in a traffic jam on the interstate and temps got up to 230+, with the A/C off. That's telling me I don't have enough air flow across the radiator or water flow through the radiator. Here's a run down on cooling parts. Everything is new when I installed the new engine and serpentine belt system in spring of '18.

I'm currently replacing the Skip White water pump with an Edelbrock 8881 and the Stat thermostat with a high flow Milodon 16401.
    Radiator is an aluminum ECP: RAD-6162S.
    Fan is new, stock reverse rotation 7 blade with new thermal clutch, stock fan shroud.

This fan is drawing through 3 units; auxiliary transmission cooler, A/C condenser, and radiator. I'm thinking the fan just can't pull enough air, especially at idle, to cool everything. Plus, the 2.8K stall converter is tossing in another dose of heat.

I'm certainly not set on any type of fan setup now, just trying to find out what will work best for me. If there's something that will move more air than the LS1 setup, let me know. I know I'll have to wire in a couple relays, no problem. The Eddy Pro Flo 4 ECU will control 2 fans, so I'm good on that part. Thanks

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

3. CorkyE

Wanting something that works, that Eddy pump definitely wasn't cheap. Thanks for the link.
    Does anyone know the cfm rating on LS1 fans? I Googled and found numbers from 3500 to 9000 cfm.

4. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I bought a set for my car a long time ago, wouldn't fit so I sold them to a friend of mine--they are no where near 9000cfm
    3500 sounds about right for them. They seem to work well. If space is limited, I would do a lot of research.
    On my car with a big block chevy with a long water pump, they hit the water pump and power steering pump. They also hit the steering box--with a 4 core brass radiator(I could have lived with modifying them to fit but hitting the pumps I didn't want to deal with.

5. CorkyE

I have a small block with a serpentine setup, I don't think I'll run into that problem. I got in touch with ECP, guys that made radiator and they sell a dual fan setup specific for their radiator, but it's quite pricey at $400 and 3,000cfm. A lot of guys here have done this without a hassle, so I'm going to give the fleabay LS1 setup a shot, $117 including harness and ride.

dave@ztech likes this.
  6. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Yep shouldn't have a problem with the mall block! Good luck I hope it does what you're wanting!

7. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

How about a 9 blade fan off a 2002-2004 Escalade I have seen one of those in action and it will pull a bunch of air.
    I assume the shroud is properly spaced.
    If all of the blade is inside the shroud that is a no no. As you probably know.

8. CorkyE

I bought the car new and haven't modified the shroud. The guy at ECP said what I pretty much knew; at idle, no engine driven fan is going to pull enough air through the (3) aux trans cooler, A/C condenser, radiator, and keep the engine cool on a hot day. With a 180 t-stat, I'm staying around 185 going down the road. Turn the A/C on and it starts bumping 200. Our cars just don't have a lot of room in the grill opening and under the hood to move a lot of air. Yes, stock fans work fine with a stock, low compression 350, but I've exceeded the design limits. I'm also looking into where I can relocate the trans cooler. With a 2.8 ~ 3K stall converter, that thing pushes out a lot of heat in stop and go driving. On the highway, with converter locked up, no problem.

9. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I have quite a bit of space between my trans cooler and radiator and I have some vehicles where the cooler is off to the side not blocking the radiator at all.
    I do use a Plate and Fin style not a tube and fin style.

I got my coolers off of newer big Vans or Trucks like 3/4-1 ton from the salvage yard.

I have seen the tube style many people use and attach through the radiator with makeshift zip ties.
    I Never liked that idea.

No idea what type of transmission cooler you run but if it is a tube type i would research the plate type.

10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used an entropy radiator with dual shrouded fans. These fans make alot of noise, but they move alot of air. Each fan needs its own 40a fuse and relay or you can't keep fuses and relays from melting. So far it keeps my single turbo sbc cool in traffic.