Are all clay bar kits created equal.

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by theflash, Nov 20, 2011.

1. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
    I've hear the wonders of using clay bars, so I wanted to try one, but which one to choose. Is there much difference between Meguiers, turtle wax, or Mothers? Any others out there?

2. vfw_1168

vfw_1168 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 3, 2010
    wheelersburg,ohio
    I used mothers and was happy with it

3. kawboy

kawboy Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Indiana
    You can use any above mentioned clay bars and be happy with the results. To answer you're question, yes there are differences in clay bars. But to see the differences you would probably need to do some research and more than likely order online. I believe that you can actually buy kits with a few different bars for different things and severity of problems.

4. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    There are more aggressive bars but most of the over the counter bars are the same and work well. In fact all bars are made by the same company until the end of this year when their patent runs out.

I have yet to come accross anything that the current over the counter clays would not remove.

5. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

6. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    I clayed my car for the first time this summer. I was really happy with the Meguiers kit I used. I followed the box instructions to the "tee". It really did help. My kit had a couple bars, a resealable container for the clay, the spray bottle of compound for the clay, and a microfiber towel. I tried it on the glass, too - and it worked well! I read that trick here.

I also did a 3M paint-restorer system. It was a 3 step cut, polish, and wax applied with a DA polisher. My 10 year old daily driver looked brand new. I was able to get most of the swirls and light scratches out of the clear coat. My car was darker, so I had a lot of visible flaws on the surface.

Good luck!

7. Zee

Zee Veteran Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Montgomery IL
    I use the mother's extensively with fantastic results. That being said, I was in a jam once and my Mother's bar was used up and too dirty to drop on my wife's new car. So, like any proud father, I raided my daughter's supply of modeling clay she bought from the art supply store for peanuts. I used it with the Mother's instant detailer (which is what comes with their clar bar anyway) and I would be hard pressed to tell any difference. So I don't think there is any difference in the clay but I would use whatever spray has proven to work for you.

8. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA
    I used the Meguiers Clay Bar kit after my car was painted by my local shop and it worked fine with water and soapy water mix.Have to keep it wet to keep it from sticking to body.Even used it on the windshield.

9. Swanny454

Swanny454 Veteran Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Cambridge IL
    I have only used the Meguirs and it has worked perfect for me.

10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i like using the turtle wax "ice" claybar kit as it has (2) different application methods for cleaning your painted surfaces . the kit has a liquid claybar which is just a liquid paste you apply over your paint the wash off with water . the other is the more traditional style with a bottle of detail spray and a claybar