Applying Vinyl to package tray

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 8pack, Jan 27, 2018.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I had tried to do something different than just putting vinyl down in the package tray, but I couldn't get it to work out. So I went out and bought this vinyl called Trexx Vinyl and the pattern is pretty cool. In any even I am looking for insights on how best to apply it.

I know about using 3M spray adhesive but I wanted to know the following:

Is there a different product I should use?

I am concerned about the vinyl lifting after time from the heat...should I tack the entire sheet down, or just the edges to it so it lays loose in the center and can't "lift" later....however, I think in the heat it may wrinkle if it is not glued down.

Open to suggestions!

Thanks

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    There's a couple different 3M ones. Is it porous? If it is, don't use the "Super" trim adhesive. It sometimes bleeds through porous material. I thought about you the other day, Bill. I was looking for something and ran across two brand new 6X9 speaker covers. Still in bags. They're yours if you want them. I wasn't sure what your final plan was.

3. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Here's what I am using.....I don't think the vinyl is porous.

IMG_20180127_175510.jpg

4. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks Phil! Hang onto them, I may still need them if I can't make what I am working on now work.....

5. OrlandoMarkz28

OrlandoMarkz28 New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Hey, I don't know about PA but here in FL the 3m stuff just melts in the summer the only thing I have found that worked was a contact cement I got from a upholstery guy that said this was the last he had and it is not made anymore, just a grey can no text at all but it worked perfect, over 5 years ago. I used the carbon fiber material with the peel off paper back and it is ok after 1 year on my package tray

6. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ok .I guess we will find out if the glue melts. That's would be a bummer. The good news is the tray itself can just be recoveredrif necessary as it is not likely to deteriorate as long as I own the car now.