Applying Silver on RS Grill

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Chuck71RS, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Has anyone applied silver to the RS grill? Looking for some ideas how to do this. The factory silver is still on mine but coming off in a few areas.

Need to keep the silver off the rest of the black surface and the only way I have come up with is to mask all the black surface. No way I could do it freehand without masking.

Apply silver on a flat surface and press the grill in the silver?

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    How about a silver pen used for modeling? They make different size tips. Got mine at Home Depot, but they have them at hobby shops and on line. I've never used a chrome one, but there have been threads here on them. I used one for the thin silver feature line on the dash.

3. TCinthe6

TCinthe6 New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I would take the grills off, apply a little paint to a sponge, and then dab it on lightly with very little pressure. Take your time, and layer up after it dries. You can hit it with some rattlecan clear coat once you are done to help it last.

I use the same technique on static models and it works way better than trying to mask or paint with a fine brush or pen.

4. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    SF East Bay CA
    I’ve done it using a silver paint pen. I’ll post pictures later today. I scuffed with a scotch brite pad and did it freehand. It’s easier than you think.

Mike

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  5. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    SF East Bay CA
    77E78A37-3A29-41F1-AFA6-AFC96AC84699.jpeg 77E78A37-3A29-41F1-AFA6-AFC96AC84699.jpeg

Attached Files:

Chuck71RS likes this.
  6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Dam, roeville , that looks great, what pen did you use, brand ?

7. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Roeville.....How did you best clean polish the original black plastic grilles before
    using the ??? paint pen....

Recently there was a interior thread with paint pen suggestion but maybe that
    was for the CHROME version ???

8. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    SF East Bay CA
    Dave, I knew someone was going to ask. I looked but couldn’t find the actual paint pen I used. I did it a few years ago (that picture was taken today). I’m almost positive it was a Sharpie Metallic Silver paint pen. It had a broad tip.

Chuck, I first cleaned them with Meguiars all-purpose cleaner. Then I used Meguiars vinyl protectant. The paint pen I used was “Metallic Silver” not chrome.
    The Metallic Silver was almost an exact match to the original silver finish. I’ve seen the reproduction grilles and I think the silver finish is too shiny and reflective.

Mike

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Very nice work!

10. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas