Anyone using a Smith Racecraft subframe?

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by driftwood, Apr 29, 2010.

1. driftwood

driftwood Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    07882, NJ
    Or any other aftermarket front frame?
    Trying to decide whether to buy a LW frame or just modify the existing. Trying to drop pounds, yet still want to be fully streetable. Already have TRZ arms.

Was hoping someone here may have experience with Smith Racecraft's subframe.
    Thanks, Joe

2. KylePBZ

KylePBZ Veteran Member

May 5, 2006
    So. IL
    The price was out of my range so I just chopped up the stock one. Took out 55lbs just in the subframe.

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it's the same Smith that does the rear wheel drive conversions??
    I've only heard a lot of good over the years.

4. herman hood

herman hood New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    dinwiddie va
    i have a local chassis man doing a round tube strut on my 70 z-28 now. i looked into the smith race craft pc but went with local. just taking the front sheet metal and radiator support, fenders and door i lost over 250lbs. the front sub frame i should see another 250 and removing the stock floor and fire wall. another 75 or so. hoping for 2800 lbs with me in it and a 468 bbc with steel heads.

5. driftwood

driftwood Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    07882, NJ
    Kyle- I've browsed your project thread and am trying to decide to do something like you did, or just get a frame. I like the way yours turned out, but I'm trying to utilize my limited time. Was the 55lbs after welding in the new tubing? Is this the 55lbs?

[​IMG]

mrdragster-I think so as they do make a rear susp. conversion also. All I have found so far has been positive information about them.

herman- Not sure you'll see 250 for the front frame unless you are talking with complete front susp. vs the new tube/strut set up . The stock frame is under 150 IIRC.

Thanks for the tips/info guys. I'll talk to racecraft & see if they think the frame would work for my goal/desired use of the car.

Joe

6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's good, I've seen or read about 100 or more cars using Smith stuff and it's been 99% positive.
    It was very common to take front wheel drive stuff, and make drag cars out of them.
    Especially for class racing.

If you go that way, you found a quality product.

7. KylePBZ

KylePBZ Veteran Member

May 5, 2006
    So. IL
    Actually that stuff was 60+lbs. I figure about 5lbs of tubing went back in. Not to mention all of the other stuff I took out up there.

8. driftwood

driftwood Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    07882, NJ
    Thanks Kyle. Looks like I'll probably modify the stock frame after talking with Racecraft. Their frame looks like it's outta my budget too once adding in their rack, shaft and motor plates. Hard to justify $3k for a street/strip car.

Did you use the TRZ rack in your car? Does it have any bumpsteer?

Thanks again, Joe

9. mfchassisworks

mfchassisworks Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
  10. KylePBZ

KylePBZ Veteran Member

May 5, 2006
    So. IL
    Yeah, TRZ rack kit. No bumpsteer it's just a little harder to steer than the stock manual steering was.

BTW, mine weighs about 2750 without me.