Anyone replace timing chain 3rd gen??

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by mrdragster1970, Feb 25, 2018.

1. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Timing jumped, and usually my crew chief does stuff like this, but if it's a huge project,
    I don't want to bother him, and tie up his lift.
    It's a frigging tight ass squeeze in these things!!!!
    Is it as hard as it looks, or easier than I'm thinking??

Thanks Guys.

2. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Georgia
    This is how I would do a Gen 1 SBC, the others should be similar. Drain the coolant, pull the water pump, pull harmonic balancer, drop or loosen the front bolts for the oil pan so it clears the timing cover, remove timing cover, fix or replace timing set. The lower timing gear and harmonic balancer are press fit and required tools to remove. You may have to pull the radiator to fit the balancer puller. Different tools make them easier to replace, but are not required. Most parts stores wil loan you the tools you will need. Put it back in reverse, using your favorite rtv between the oil pan and timing cover.

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for the reply.

I've done at least 20 cam changes, and I have all the tools.
    I was only asking about this vehicle, too be honest, I usually don't work on anything this new, or without a removable body.
    I've never worked on this car before except starter & plugs, which are a royal pain in the ass with all the crap stuffed into these engine compartment!!!
    That's why I figured I better ask before tying up the lift for a week or more, he works 2 jobs, so it's not like we can pound on it non-stop.
    My shop already has 2 trucks I'm plugging away on, and I don't need another non running project all torn apart in my way.

Thanks again.