Anyone knows this 1970 Z28/RS

Discussion in 'Auctions and Online Sales' started by theDudefromGermany, Nov 8, 2017.

1. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I’m with you guys in that transmission stamping looks just a little too, well, crisp? I too have never seen a trim tag where the body sequence number is, as 70lt1z28 said, flattened. I’ve seen them beat up, sanded, blasted, wire wheeled but not quite like this one. I think those rivets just have caulk in them, a little too equal between them and maybe hiding a non-original rivet though. I like the color combo a lot. :cool:

2. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    It just doesn’t look sanded to me...more like pounded out with a body hammer and dollie...but why?:screwup:

3. theDudefromGermany

theDudefromGermany New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    that´t the question. why should someone do this to a real z28! i mean i would be a nice car but for that price... that´s crap! i really like the car but it sucks to have a crappy TT that´s so strange!

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Hard to say, really. Maybe at one time the original TT got separated from the body (race car?) and they bought a TT from eBay or a rusted out doaner car. Maybe they discovered the sequence number didn't jive with the VIN (although from the registry it seems to). The trans is definitely suspect and my guess is the engine is too.

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    You cannot depend on the trim tag. The rivets do not look right. In their defense, I took my TT off when I restored my car; there was a lot of corrosion underneath. But I also have pics of it attached to the car from earlier in its life.

The numbers on the transmission do look odd. Maybe it was stamped using different tools. And the restorer could have applied the original numbers to a replacement case. Not cool but it could happen.

I would closely examine the rear axle numbers.

And the partial VIN on the block near the oil filter is a must to take a pic of to examine.

The worse case would be to force the removal of the heater box to see the number stamped underneath.

$46K is a lot of money. But restoring a 1970 to be like a Z28 would COST a lot of money. The parts and labor would be expensive. So if you buy it to drive, I think you may be actually breaking even from building one yourself! $50K is what they are averaging here in the states.

Oh, and I looked at it closely. It looks really nice. I think you could do much worse!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  6. theDudefromGermany

theDudefromGermany New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    i will talk to the seller tomorrow. i will wait one more day. perhaps i will get some more informations from the canadian company that sold it. i also did some little VIN research but didn't found much about it. just this: Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-14 um 17.10.44.png

at the moment he is asking for 40.000 Euro but this is still a lot for a car with a questionable history. i´m not buying the car to make money with it in the future. i´m buying it together with my dad to have fun with it an just have it in our garage to have it! we both love this car! but you newer know what happens in the future. at the moment we have a chrysler 300 from 1971 and the Z28 would be our second US Car. if something stupid happens in the future and we have to sell the cars it would be hard to sell a 1970 Z28 for that much money in Germany, specially with that questionable history/ trim tag. The Classic US car market in germany or Europe isn´t that big... i think i was the first guy that took a look at the camaro... the car was standing in the Garage for at least some months, it was pretty dusty... think i will tell him that this whole stuff looks strange and i don´t believe that this is a real Z28, or at least a not matching numbers z28. i mean all the other stuff was okay (like the floor mounted pedal, or the 80 rpm dashboard). if he makes a better offer i perhaps will drive there again to take another look at the car and take it for a test ride... it definitely is a pretty nice car and would be pretty nice in our garage but not for that much money... and also i have to pay some more money if i buy the car. i have to get a company that delivers the car to my place( it´s freezing cold in germany and we are using salt and i won´t drive this car on a salty road). and then i have to change some stuff like headlights etc. to get a german registration and german TÜV... so i will have to pay like another 1000 euro for all that stuff...