Anyone knows this 1970 Z28/RS

Discussion in 'Auctions and Online Sales' started by theDudefromGermany, Nov 8, 2017.

1. theDudefromGermany

theDudefromGermany New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    He Guys,

i´m from Germany and was looking for a nice 1970 Camaro for a while. I found this one for sale in Germany.

https://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/chevrolet-camaro-z-28-rs-roth/250479042.html?action=parkItem

I just called the guy who sells it and will go to see the car on next Monday he also told me the car was restored in Canada and i it is a real Z28. But he couldn't tell me anything more... the car has no documents and just a Canadian title. so i thought i would ask you if any one knows the car.

best greets from Germany

FlaJunkie likes this.
  2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Looks like a great car. Appears to be priced right too.
    If the car was originally sold in Canada you may be in luck. Cars imported into Canada have a searchable history here(from the NastyZ28 info pages):

Q:
    How can I find out about the past history of my car?

A: If your vehicle was originally sold in Canada, you can request a vehicle report. Call the GM Canada Customer Communications Centre at 800.263.3777 (inside Canada) and ask for Vintage Vehicle Services, or dial them direct at 905.644.4060. For a nominal fee you will receive basic information from the original computerized records such as the option by RPO number, date of shipment, and the Canadian dealer number.

Good luck.

One other thing. You know that the 1970 Z28's had a high compression engine and the engines will not last long on normal pump gas? In 1971 the compression dropped and can run on normal pump gas. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of this.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    If it was shipped new to Canada then you can get the printout of options and what dealer it came from etc, from GM Vintage group in Oshawa Ont Canada for a fee.
    If it's a real Z28 then this paperwork will say so, just supply the VIN number to George.
    https://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/options.html

4. theDudefromGermany

Nov 8, 2017
    Thanks for your help! that sounds good! i will check the car next Monday. I will check all the numbers (VIN, Engine, Transmission) and will try to get that vintage vehicle service.

@70lt1z28 I know that the car has a high compression engine... but i didn't know that the "normal modern fuel" wouldn't be good enough for the engine. so thanks for that information.
    but to be honest i really want that 1970 Z28! if the numbers on this car are correct and the rest looks as good as on the picture i will probably buy it. the market in germany isn´t that big and if i have to switch to a high octane gas that shouldn't be a problem.

5. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    At least the "normal modern fuel" available here in the states. Maybe in Germany it is better, but they haven't made a car in the states that needs this kind of octane since 1970-71. We have to go to race tracks and other special fuel depots that sell race gas. Like the ""Unleaded" fuel here:
    http://www.turboblue.com/products_4

6. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    If you can get pictures of the VIN, the body trim plate and the engine block number pad by the alternator, that would be great. There is a partial VIN on the original block near the oil filter as well. You will need macro setting on camera to see it.

7. theDudefromGermany

Nov 8, 2017
    @70lt1z28 i think the premium gas they sell on our gas stations is around 102(RON) Octane... but i will think about that later... first i have to check that one. it´s hard to find a good 70-73 car in Germany for a good price...

8. theDudefromGermany

Nov 8, 2017
    IMG_1958.PNG IMG_1880.jpg IMG_1937.PNG IMG_1939.PNG IMG_1941.PNG IMG_1944.PNG IMG_1950.PNG IMG_1952.PNG IMG_1954.PNG IMG_1958.PNG He Guys,
    i was checking out the Z28.... it look really nice! only thing i didn't like was a little ringing sound from the left Engine side ( sounded like some metal knocking) but it stoped after the car was running for like 2 minutes ( it´s cold in germany today;)), probably they used some cheap/bad fuel...
    i also found out that the car was restored at www.legendarymotorcar.com. i will call them later, perhaps they have some informations for me (because the guy who sells it don´t have any history)...
    i also checked the numbers. The transmission is matching numbers... but i could check the engine yet. My iPhone just deleted some photos( and also the one with the engine number pad by the alternator)
    the vin next to the oil filter was really hard to read... I Think it is:
    127n

i really like the car... but before i buy it i will take it for a test ride( right after we looked at the car it started to rain really badand the car was to nice to ride it in those conditions) and i also will check the engine number... i will post some pics for you...
    IMG_1958.PNG

9. theDudefromGermany

Nov 8, 2017
    the photo upload didn't worked out that well :(:(

10. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    I'm not an expert in this by any means, but that TT looks a bit wonky. I haven't seen one before where the sequence number was so flattened out or lightly impressed.The rivets look suspicious also. I'll have to look at mine tonight. The rivets I think are supposed to be hollow. Maybe they changed from mine which is an 04B second week of April car to your 3rd week of May car.
    The transmission stamp for the M21 doesn't look right either. I'll check mine tonight. Its out of the car on the bench now.

The photo of the head doesn't show the casting very well. Is it the double hump casting or a wedge?

Again, no expert here, but I've seen my share of these things. Nice looking car though.