Anyone Know the difference in Hotchkis series for a 1970 Camaro?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Trollby, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Trollby

Trollby Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Madison, WI
    This years winter project is replacing my OLD and worthless shocks that are from 1981.
    The guy I bought car from has "Coil over" shocks and I am looking at replacing with Hotchkis shocks.
    Hotchkis 79010004 and Hotchkis 79020004 shocks are pretty close in price but not sure which is a better fit for a bang for buck and handling.
    The car is just a weekend and to and from car shows\swap-meets. Not Racing and not hot-rodding on the streets, just a weekend driver.

Anyone that has shock or Suspension knowledge I would appreciate some help.

Hotchkis 79010004:
    Improve the ride and handling of your muscle car with Hotchkis Sport Suspension's HPS 1000, vehicle specifically tuned shock absorbers. Manufacturing features Bilsteins deflective disc valve technology in a high pressure mono tube shock body which allows excessive heat to be dissipated quicker than twin tube designs. A separating piston uses nitrogen to pressurize the shock oil, preventing aeration (foaming), which often leads to performance loss or a poor ride. Conveniently bundled in a 4 pack, shocks can be used on stock or lowered cars. Shocks are the hardest working suspension part; don't sacrifice your ride and performance to a inferior product.
    Hotchkis 79020004:
    1.5 Street Performance Series Shock Absorbers are manufactured by Fox yet tuned by Hotchkis engineers for a smooth ride and exceptional control of your muscle car. They utilize the latest cutting-edge monotube shock technology in a lightweight, smooth bore, Type III hard anodized aluminum body with hard chrome-plating for years of durability. To prevent contaminants from entering the shocks, the rod guide employs a dual wiper/scraper seal to clean the shaft before reaching the main seal.

2. Trollby

Trollby Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Madison, WI
    I should add that if someone thinks that another shock type is better let me know why (In same price range $480 - $505)

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My guess is old coil overs are really old load levelers. If so you might find some drop if toy remove them.

Looks like the difference is bilstein vs fox shocks.

What springs are you running?

4. Trollby

Trollby Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Madison, WI
    The original, all bushings too.

That is on my to-do list but hoping the original springs are good enough

5. Rayzorz

Rayzorz New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Calgary Alberta
    The hotchkis bilsteins would probably work better for the stock spring rate of the oe parts. its possible you might find the fox shocks over valved/ too stiff or other quirks since they are meant for the hotchkis springs and lower ride height.

Another shock idea could be some double adjustable shocks, then you can tweak them as you see fit for the stock springs then change the setting for upgraded parts down the road. They are more money than your current budget unfortunately .