Anyone know how to flow test nitrous in a bucket?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by slayer021175666, Feb 7, 2018.

1. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    I have looked all over but, I can't find any step by step instructions on this.
    When you do it, do you have someone work the gas pedal? I mean, you can't just test the flow of the nitrous side, can you? Don't you need to at least rev up the motor to know what the whole system demands?
    Can someone tell me exactly (step by step) how to do a bucket flow test, please?
    Thanks

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you trying to measure the N2O volume, or test the electrical side???

3. slayer021175666

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Sorry. I should have been more clear.
    I want to test the fuel pressure. Its a 50-100 shot Performer kit from Edelbrock. The instructions say it can be ran off the same pump the carb uses. I would like to make sure the fuel pressure is good throughout the rpm range. I don't have a tester and they are pretty expensive. I saw a guy drop the whole plate in a bucket to test the fuel flow but, it was a short video and he didn't actually explain the process.

4. mrdragster1970

That's easy, flowing N2O is expensive.
    The only thing you need is a quality gauge on the fuel line after the fuel regulator.
    I prefer a 0-15 so the indents are a little bigger. For you, anything that is readable will work.
    You won't be making 1/4 lb adjustments like I do.

Take your system off and lay in bucket as mentioned.
    Turn on the fuel pump & trigger the fuel noid only, no reason to mess with the N2O side.
    Read the gauge and adjust the regulator, and you are done!!!
    No running the engine, no risk to worry about.
    The tiny bit of drop from the floats opening & closing are minuscule.

5. slayer021175666

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    I'm running a mechanical pump so, I will have to start the motor but, no big deal there. Sounds like you just check it at idle, set it and forget it? If so, Excellent!

6. mrdragster1970

OK, for you it's a little more work, since you have to put the carb back and extend the plate to a safe area away from a running engine.
    I would suggest getting another plate if possible, or it will be a pain in the balls dialing it in.
    It is a very easy project, and should be done often if you make a lot of changes.
    If it's a set it and forget it deal, don't bother.
    For such a tiny kit, it shouldn't need much fine tuning, so watch the plugs and be careful!!!

7. slayer021175666

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Its not on the car yet so its a little easier to do before it gets totally installed.
    I just check the fuel flow pressure at idle, right?
    Thanks for your help, mrdragster!

8. mrdragster1970

To be honest, I have not had a mechanical pump in over 25 years.
    Definitely not since getting N2O, so I have no clue if the flow changes at speed??

You would need someone else for that.
    Just make sure you use all the stuff you plan to have permanently.
    You need the same pump, regulator, Y-block, line size etc etc.

Also, even with a tiny tiny kit like that, make sure you run relays & WOT switch.
    You will destroy a carb if you accidentally fire it off with the blades closed.

9. slayer021175666

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Ya there's a WOT switch and relay with a wiring harness in the box and I definitly plan on using them.
    This will be my first time spraying. Do you have some advice on how to operate it on my first few tries? I was talking to Fatkid earlier today. He said its not anything to be afraid of. Told me to put the Hurst into ratchet mode, shift into 2nd and when I get my RPMs up to 2500 or 3000, go ahead and punch it. He said to shift into 3rd at whatever RPM I normally would and let off WOT. Still, I wanna ask other guys how they'd recommend a first timer should go about it. Always better to get a few opinions. Look before ya leap kinda thing!;)

10. mrdragster1970

Nothing wrong with testing in high gear only the 1st time out.
    That proves the electric side is correct.

Don't forget, the most gain is made spraying the launch.
    Of course you need sticky tires, and a strong enough drive train.
    Of course with only that kit, you don't need bullet proof.

If you run a brake, sticky's and have a decent drive train, I would activate it off the brake.
    Much more consistent, and easy to let the pedal activate the kit.
    Like I mentioned, too many guys accidentally hit the button with the blades closed or ??

Plus I like having 2 hands on the wheel, and the N2O disengaging if I lift/pedal.

Good luck.