Anyone interested in adding cupholders?

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by bbhamaro, Apr 10, 2011.

1. bbhamaro

bbhamaro New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Watertown,Wi.
    I love my old cars, but have realized that I miss the convenience of a cupholder. I think I found a really nice custom option for a '74 to '81 but the minimum order is 8 units. I don't have a price yet and (of course) I am willing to sacrifice my own console first. They will come unfinished so you could have them clearcoated or paint or powdercoated to match. Anyone else interested?

2. prosuperstar5

prosuperstar5 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Savannah Georgia
    fbodywarehouse already carries cupholders that go in the center console. Dont destroy your console!

3. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    I added some on mine. I'll get a pic as soon as I can.

4. mr-oreno

mr-oreno Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Florida
    I would like to see some options...

5. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    Sorry guys forgot all about some pics. I will add them in my project thread this week I hope.

6. I just use one of those cheap plastic bad boys that you hang from the window seal....

7. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Alabama
    My 78 doesn't have a console and I'm not sure I want to add the console so heck yeah I'm in IF the price is right and IF I can get it in black...keep us updated

Are they going to be a totally separate unit or will they be an add on to existing consoles?

8. eparr1026

eparr1026 New Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Lexington, KY
    For those of you that don't mind modifying your existing center console door lid here is what I did. First I just added a small cupholder that would fit a soft drink can. Liked it so much that I replaced the small cupholder with a bigger one to hold my coffee mug and added a second one behind the first for a passenger to use. Attached is a pic of the finished mod.

I never did use the console much for an armrest .... Usually having too much fun moving through the gears of my 5 speed!! But even with the cupholders (with or without them in use) there is still enough room to rest your arm there if you want to.

I have some pics of the steps I took from start to finish on my Shutterfly share site. Click the link below if you want to see more detail.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  9. zekefreak

zekefreak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 16, 2006
    western PA
    Here's how I did mine. The cup holders were like a dollar a piece on ebay.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    I wish I did ^ That instead with 2 side by side, but passenger can just hold their own damn drink!!!! :p
    I've got a Marine stainless steel big one in mine like this.
    [​IMG]

I think the coolest cup holders I've ever seen were on a Volkswagen, and they look like this.
    They're flat in the dash, and you pull them out and they kinda pop out into these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-BLAC...-HOLDER-FOR-BOAT-RV-FIVE-OCEANS-/280907092575

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013