Anyone install a QA1 aoilover conversion

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Rick WI, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Getting close to ordering a set and wondering if you have to remover the lower A-Arm for these? Like I had to do when I installed the Carrera kit.

------------------
    70 SS 454 CI Dynoed 650+HP (with old cam) All Aluminium Fuel Injected Small Block 708HP (based on Engine Analyzer) with new cam, 908HP with 200 shot of Nitrous Express go juice. 1208 if I put the big jets in it and want to bust rings.

2. B Carmack

B Carmack Member

Yes you must lower the A arms to put them in. From what I can tell, I am going to like these very much!

3. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Thanks. Figured as much, same as the Carerra setup. We will have to compare notes after the holidays. Ordered mine on Friday and should have them next week. Now to take off the Carerras, clean things up under there and wait for the new stuff to come in.

------------------
    70 SS 454 CI Dynoed 650+HP (with old cam) All Aluminium Fuel Injected Small Block 708HP (based on Engine Analyzer) with new cam, 908HP with 200 shot of Nitrous Express go juice. 1208 if I put the big jets in it and want to bust rings.

4. tomsti

tomsti Veteran Member

What's the difference between the Carrera and the QA1? I have a set of the Carrera right now, is there a reason to change to the QA1?

5. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

I liked the Carrera just fine. They are three years old and although they have not seen a ton of miles, most have been a workout. So the dampening is basically kaput. My front end is kinda like a pogo stick. Actually Carrera told me they would take care of them if I take one shock measurement, call them back and then send them in. They only want to make sure I installed the shock at the correct extension. So I will do that and then put that pair aside or sell.

Anyway the QA1's are adjustable for compression and rebound. Thats why I thought I'd try them this time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rick WI (edited December 22, 2003).]

6. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What spring rates are you running. I was thinking of going coilover on the front as well. I'm supporting an all iron BB.
    If your Carreras are capable I might be interested if you're selling after revalving, Rick.

------------------
    73RS/LT/427

7. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

They are 450lb springs. QA1 specs a 350-465 variable rate for their big block coilover, which is what I am getting.

------------------

8. asumtoy540

asumtoy540 Member

No you do not have to remove the lower a-arm to install the shocks.Remove the ball joint nut and just drop down the a-arm.You will love the shocks,have had them for two yrs.

Brian

9. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Great, thats cool. They should be here Friday so when I take the old ones out I'll compress the spring so I don't have to take out the A Arm.

They are a slightly different design than the Carerra setup and I was hoping that would be the case.

I am really looking forward to trying these out. Loved the Carerra setup, these should be sweet with the dampening adjustment.

------------------

10. jb

jb Veteran Member

what is the diffrence between the 2 setups and what is the price diffrence I was thinking of doing this but not much $$$ right now? how much of a diffrence does this make from stock Z28 coils and polly bushings?