Anyone install a double DIN in a 2nd gen?

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by MrTailLight, Feb 7, 2013.

1. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 22, 2001
    Carmel, NY
    This looked good. I just wonder what he did with the original radio spot. I'm anal about everything "flowing" interior wise, besides another set of gauges what could possibly fill that spot?

And holy cow that is the TALLEST shifter I've seen in a 2nd gen.

2. Batjac

Batjac Veteran Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Portland, OR,USA

Strange, I've always preferred the 79-81 dash. The curved dash always seemed to waste so much real estate. I can see the "boxy" dash space as easier and more pleasing to the eye to use for modifications/additions.

But that's just me.

3. 1979CamaroTX

1979CamaroTX Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Groesbeck, TX
    I plan to do my stereo install like this and move the AC vents down to the factory radio location.

4. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    Double Din in 79-81 Dash Bezel

Just wondering if anyone else has done this and can share do's and don'ts - +1 on the plan to put a double din where the AC vents are, and Install an AC vent at the stock radio position. I've been researching the double Din "cages" - I guess I'll pick up a double Din cage and trim ring and figure it out.

5. chevy2ss

chevy2ss Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Poconos, PA
    i just did this. was a pain in the butt but i think it will be worth it.(cars not driveable yet).
    the way i did it was i took 1/8 inch by 2 inch steel that they sell at lowes and made my own cage to surround the radio leaving a 1.5 inch or so gap on the back side. drilled and slotted the backside so i could put a mounting bolt thru it(and allow adustment to center it in the hole and bezel i made) i then came down from another bracket that i placed under the front speaker grill (i didnt weld this in i bolted it using 3 button head bolts thru the speaker grill) i made and bolted the two together ,got it centered and tightened the locknut. boom done. it did take 4 hands to get it positioned and then tighten it down. best pic i have right now
    [​IMG]

Zstar likes this.
  6. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    I've got the aluminum gauge panel, and this is what I am going to do.

7. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    Thanks for the description - I think I follow what you did - that's the part I've been thinking about - I hadn't really thought about making it adjustable, but I knew the challenge would be getting the cage exactly lined up - adjustable is probably the way to go!

8. rh80camaro

rh80camaro New Member

May 7, 2012
    morganton, nc

9. rh80camaro

rh80camaro New Member

May 7, 2012
    morganton, nc
    so really how hard is it and what did you do with ac vents. I am about to install double din in my 60 camaro

10. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Seen this on Facebook the other day, not sure how they did it...but at first glance looks like they built some sort of pod. I know they cut the lower dash up...cut the hole area below the radio opening out. 24232394_540739879610114_2868425230577712275_n.jpg