Anyone in Florida want to make some $$$

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jkhall, Feb 24, 2018.

1. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    that sounded dirty ;)

I am not a body man. And it shows when I hung my doors. i thought I would be able to gap them correctly but I am failing miserably. I need someone to hang my doors, fender, hood. I live near Tampa and willing to pay for your time and trouble.

1971 Camaro

2. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    If I lived close, I'd just stop by and help. I work cheap: Some food and cold drinks and I'm good.

jkhall likes this.
  3. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    The first gap you set is where the door closes at the latch. Get the door to close properly on the striker and the glass adjusted. Then, mount the fenders. The fenders should be slightly past the front of the door edge so the door does not catch the fender - it must go behind it. This also reduces wind noise. You WILL need shims for the fenders; quite a few for where they mount to the cowl. Once you get to mounting the hood, you may need to move the fenders & header panel around to make it square hole. You can "X" it out with string to achieve this.

If none of this is making sense to you, there are many videos on Youtube on how to align panels.

4. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    hate to ask, but where do you live?

5. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017

Oh it makes sense. IN theory, I was going to have it done in an afternoon. :) In practice neither door lines up correctly. I have watched youtube.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I was in Tampa last week and had 2 days to kill.

7. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    if only my Camaro was a Delorean and I could travel back in time. ;)

Are you going to be over here again soon?

8. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I remove the door strikers and hood latch to align both. I get the door gaps right, then install the strikers making damned certain they do not alter the alignment when doors are closed. I do the same with the hood. Latch can push hood to either side.
    Take your time. After any adjustment, close the doors or hood very slowly, especially if they are newly/nicely painted. We don't need your nickname to be Chip. Patience.

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Most likely. We stayed at the new Renaissance Hotel by the airport. Great new mall at the International Plaza and restaurants beside the hotel too.

10. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    I hope to have it up and running and prepping for final paint in April some time. What do you do that brings you to Tampa? I fly all over the country myself for work.