Anyone have this problem with new AMD quarters

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by lapedr, Feb 26, 2018.

1. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    While trial fitting my new RH AMD quarter panel everything seems to line up great (body lines at upper/lower door to qtr, gap between door and quarter, trunk gutters, outer wheelhouse, tail panel etc.), with one exception that is driving me crazy. On the panel that the trunk rods are welded to just above the trunk gutter I can't seem to get the new quarter to come left (towards the drivers side) 1/4" more laterally, which is what is needed for the new qtr to overlap / lay on top of that torque rod panel. This is also effecting the gap between the trunk lid and quarter on the RH side by 1/4". I just don't know how I can get the qtr to shift left another 1/4" that is needed, any suggestions would be appreciated?

CamarosRus likes this.
  2. rcsf500

rcsf500 New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    White Lake,MI.
    I had the same problem with nos dr.side qtr. Temporarily welded a large washer to upper corner of qtr. Ratchet strap to opposite hinge,tack qtr in place,remove washer.

3. lapedr

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    Great idea, I will try it, thanks

4. Motorhead3

Motorhead3 New Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Did you find a fix for the fit issue? I'm getting ready to buy quarters and AMD seems like its talked about highly. I've used Goodmark panels on other cars and they needed work. years ago so I'm sure their better now. Did you deal directly with AMD? Seems like a good price on shipping.

5. lapedr

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    I have not tried the weld method yet but will this weekend. The technique sounds like it will work. The quarters are a great product, I would highly recommend them. I like you heard good things about them. I bought mine at the Summit store in Atlanta so I didn't have to pay shipping. I also got a military discount. All the body lines matched up perfectly other than the issue above. I can text you pics of where I temporarily clamped the RH quarter to the body if you like, just start a new conversation with me and provide me with your phone number.

6. lapedr

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
  7. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Dallas,Tx
    post em up so we can all see!

8. rcsf500

rcsf500 New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    White Lake,MI.
    The suspense is killing me,were you able to convince that qp to go where you wanted it to?

9. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Ratchet straps are your best friend when installing quarters!

10. lapedr

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    I just finished welding the drop-off and outer wheel house. I had to use a hydraulic frame press to get the rear portion of the drop-off to raise up enough to match up to the bumper bolt hole on the tail panel and to the hole in that trunk outermost tail panel support bracket. I held the bracket in place on the drop-off temporarily using a nut and bolt. When I go to weld it I will use a nut and bolt as well as 3/16" blind grip panel holders. Once I weld the bracket to the drop-off its on to cleaning up all the spot welds, then one more repair on the torque rod panel, then the qtr. I will let everyone know how the qtr attachment goes.