Anyone have the GM SP350 engine?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by ProjectCam76, Jan 31, 2016.

1. ProjectCam76

ProjectCam76 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I noticed the GM SP350 that has 385hp with the new fast burn heads is almost identical to the new GM ZZ6 on the spec sheet and it's cheaper. Anyone have an SP350 or know someone who does? I can't find any feedback on it.

2. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    GM has changed around their lineup a lot over the last year or so. Some are re-named versions of existing motors, some are new.

Anyway, the SP350 (previously called the "Fastburn 385") and ZZ6 show only the following differences:

1. Stamped steel rockers vs. aluminum roller rockers (big whoop)

2. 9.6:1 vs. 9.7:1 compression (which would be amazing considering they use the same pistons, gaskets and heads)

3. Dual plane intake vs. Single Plane intake. If you believe their graphs, it's a classic torque vs. horsepower trade-off between the two engines and is probably the biggest difference in the power ratings. Do you feel like spending an extra $1000 for an intake manifold and maybe some roller rockers?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  3. ProjectCam76

Aug 10, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Oh, I don't feel like paying the $1k difference because it didn't seem with what little differences you listed would have the ZZ6 producing 25 more HP. I thought the SP 350 turn key engine would be a good to start with. The heads will still be good for when I want to stroke it later. So I'd be able to use the same block, heads, and just stroke it (in the future).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. Edem_Alive

Edem_Alive Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Montana
    I never trust any graph

5. ProjectCam76

Aug 10, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I guess I should've asked if anyone here has had any experience with the GM Fast Burn 350 because that's what they use to call it and now they call it SP350.

6. RSCAm

RSCAm New Member

Apr 16, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    I have the SP350/385 in my 1967 Camaro RS and it is GREAT! I was really after the new ZZ6 but due to it not being available at the time I went with the SP350. Ordered through Karl Chevrolet Performance Parts (IA). The price was the best and the service excellent. They sent it directly to my shop, SP Classics Ltd in Amityville, NY. For an extra $120, I had them send it on a truck with a lift gate.

SP Classics were so impressed with my engine, they are now referring their customers to Karl Chevrolet and they even told their car club guys that it is a MUCH better motor than the older 383.

I am not having any luck uploading photos but I do have pics. I bought Part No. 19333157, which is the base engine. You get a dual plane manifold. I am running a Holley 750 dual feed which turned out to be perfect. Headers and custom accessory set up for my vintage air. You can go to SP Classics FB site to see my car, some of the build and the engine in final installed mode.

And last but not least, my wife and I took a week and DROVE this car from NY (with 165 miles on the engine) and drove it 2000 miles back to San Antonio, TX,

Not one drop of oil used, zero overheating, just pure pleasure. TIP: I am using all aluminum big block radiator in my car. Towards end of week was running 70-80 mph with air on for over two hours straight showing 180 degrees. Fantastic!!!

7. ProjectCam76

Aug 10, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I just went over to on SP Classics on FB and saw your car. It looks really good! Although you may want them to fix their typo where they stated that they installed a ZZ6 350.

8. RSCAm

RSCAm New Member

Apr 16, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks. Yea, that was a misprint. So, you saw the engine install and final pic? I think that would you be happy with that in your car.

9. ProjectCam76

Aug 10, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Yes I saw all the images. It is definitely one of the options I'll be thinking about. I always worry if a year after I drive any engine that was rated under 400hp that i wished I would've gone with either a 383 or 400 SBC.

10. Eddiecaps

Eddiecaps New Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I just bought one for my 78 nova and it seems to run well. What did you do to tune the Holley 750?