Anybody Install a 70-73 Rs Conversion Kit

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by hapygil, Feb 24, 2015.

1. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    thanks giving it a try

2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Nice shop!. If it were me and i didn't care about having metal....for the price and ease i would buy th RS one piece fiberglass front end and be on my merry way.

3. mark wagner

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    thanks, it will be better after a big clean up. guy before me was a hoarder and passed away, his family keeps saying they want his stuff- tools, pictures, furniture and loads of junk, but still haven't shown up (over a year now).

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    I'm in the process of installing the RS upgrade kit on a 81 Z28 right now. My fenders & hood came from Goodmark. The remainder of the parts came from Classic Industries and most of the metal has OER stamps on it. My header panel fit pretty well, but the valance is too long. (left to right) When I line up the RH edge w/ the fender & header, the RH edge of the rubber bumper opening lines up. But the LH edge is too wide, by over 1". And the LH end of the valance extends beyond the fender by the same amount. (over 1")
    With the exception of the valance, most things are falling into place. But even w/ the 71 Assembly Manual as reference, it's a little like putting a puzzle together without a picture as reference.

5. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    I have the OER kit sitting in my Garage right now. I have the whole front end off as I have been doing repairs. about to start on the suspension, then dropping my LS engine in, and then will hang the fenders back and last the RS front end. I have my fingers crossed.

If there is any advise, or other gotcha's I should look out for I am all ears.

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    Fitment of the valance and the rubber bumper are all I'm currently aware of.
    Make sure your kit includes the filler strips that go between the header & the valance. One under each headlight. (my kit didn't have them)
    Like you, I'm looking for any suggestions on installing the rubber bumper. If I learn anything, I'll update this thread.

7. mark wagner

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    The strips I think you are referring to, sit behind the bumpers (?), if so, they are the same as the ones on the full bumper cars

8. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    The original OER valance I got was wacked. I got a replacement OER valance & it bolted up and aligned pretty well.
    Spent the past 2 days trying to align the whole clip. (with the help of a body man w/ 30 years experience) RH side aligns real well, but LH side no so good. The fenders & hood are Goodmark so I 'think' they should be relatively good quality. Hood measurements match the OE hood to within 1/16". But the LH rear corner of the hood is too tight unless we pull the fender out way beyond the door. Fender seam is fat in front & tight at rear of hood. The only conclusion we car come to is the LH fender is out of speck. Wanted to purchase an AMD fender, but they are out of stock.
    I guess I'll end up buying another Goodmark fender. Anyone recommend another repop brand that has a quality product??

9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Call James at (800) 814-3201 his company is A2Zvehicleparts, before he started his company he worked in the industry for 20 years, and knows who plays nice, and can point you towards the best MFG, for parts, also has some of the best prices,and freight prices, and if you do happen to find a part at a better price he will beat it, tell him you are a Nasty member.