Anybody Install a 70-73 Rs Conversion Kit

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by hapygil, Feb 24, 2015.

1. hapygil

hapygil New Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Elm Creek, Nebraska
    I have Seen SS.396 and Camaro Central both sell them. Wondering what the fitment and Quality is like. Searched for a while, but nobody seems to have installed one. At 1800 they are pricey, but you are getting a complete kit, and its new parts. I read a magazine article on the SS.396 Kit, but they didn't talk about the quality of it?

Thanks for reading.

2. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

May 22, 2013
    Murfreesboro TN
    I have bought one and will be installing it this summer. I can update this thread when I have (although it will be awhile). It picked it up so didn't pay shipping. It was $1800 flat for the FULL front end rs conversion. However, I did sell my old front bumper and whatnot for $700+...so that recouped some of it.
    I have heard horror stories with some stuff....as well as "its hard to tell the difference"...so I figured I'd just see for myself. Most of the parts are AMD from the kit. I am sure the fitment will need adjusting. Honestly, I'm sure it will take double/triple the time to get everything to line up right.

I purchased a standard bumper car but the body was just too straight with such little rust (only on the kick panel...maybe 2 inch in diameter total) to pass it up. I also searched high and low for a decent rs parts car...but the ones in my price range were worse than having a straight bumper haha.

Anyway, I'm not a stickler for extreme high quality, and before you bash me for this...hear me out. As long as it holds up with me taking it out 5-6 times a month, that will be fine with me. I'm sure I'll have 50 grand in my car by the end of it, but I want an r.s. front and what I started with was not. Ihave already spent hundreds of hours and money on this car to where I don't want the sunk cost of buying an RS car first. If I could go back...I may have done that to begin with...but I can't change that now. I can always replace things as I go.

Hope this helps. PM me for more info.

3. hapygil

hapygil New Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Elm Creek, Nebraska
    Kit

Allan, thanks for the reply. I am in somewhat of the same boat as you, I bought a running driving car, but it is a plain jane no frills car, and I really wanted the split bumper front, that's why I am considering this kit. Please keep my updated on your progress, it sounds like the sheetmetal is from a reputable company, so that is a plus. If anybody else has experience with these kits, please chime in.

Thanks again,

4. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

May 22, 2013
    Murfreesboro TN
    I will update my thread once I put it on. Unfortunately, money and time haven't been good to me lately. HOWEVER, slow and steady. This summer it should be together.

5. vfitom2aol.com

vfitom2aol.com Veteran Member

Mar 2, 2000
    NE PA
    I did it on a '73 but I used good GM original parts. Plus mine was a '73 so I found all 17 or so '73 only support braces. Came out excellent. RS adds 15 to 20 percent value.

6. thomer

thomer Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2009
    ohio
    anyone get this project completed? looking to buy the kit and would like to know what guys think of it. thanks

7. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Did you check allens build thread?

8. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    I'm doing one now. kit came from Classic Industries / OER. the fit was not too bad, but I had to tweek the header panel which had a split in the inner edge, and a few dents in the edge alongside the fender, I also made sure the contours aligned with the hood and massaged to fit, nothing terrible. the valence fit O.K. as well with only a few minor tweeks. the "notches" in the two pieces needed to be enlarged so the center grill mounting tabs fit, and the tabs needed trimming otherwise the center bumper fit O.K.,with only a little work on the edges for a nice fit, BUT we were sent two LEFT side brackets for the center nose bumper so the job remains unfinished until we get the correct brackets. I have pictures but downloading here is a pain...LOL

9. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    See the upload tab next to the post reply tab? Hit the upload tab in choose your file.