Any Wisconsin folks in here?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Jan 1, 2018.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    You can't ask for better neighbors than the Amish. Granted, there are as many different types of Amish as there are weeds in the field. Good people through and through and if one develops a human weakness, they deal with it quick.

I've heard that someone on the Wisconsin Rapids Boards of Supervisors named Bill Winch wants the Amish to install headlights, turn signals, safety glass and other devices on buggies and require a drivers license to drive a horse drawn buggy. Indiana requires rear triangle reflectors and tail lights but that's it. The Amish go along as it helps their neighbors. Headlights would make things more dangerous as it would blind the horse(s). If the horse can see, it will avoid things. They see much better at night than us humans.

2. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
  3. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Nov 30, 2003
    Fond Du Lac
    I could see them putting on a rear led that flashes red light at night but that's it.

4. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    I live in southern MN in an area with a good size Amish population and my work has me traveling in an area of northern IA that also has a large Amish population.

Headlights on the buggies would not affect the horses as the the lights would be behind the horses.

I can't tell you the number of times I've been headed in the opposite direction as the buggies and have had my headlights shining at the horses.

Never had the experience of it spooking the horses.

I have had the experience of approaching an Amish buggy at night in a dense fog - didn't see it until I was almost on top of it and thought to myself I hope no one is behing them because they would never see them.

I equate what they do with riding a bike at night with no headlights or taillights - it just isn't safe.

5. ol' grouch

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

We have a lot of Amish around here too. Mostly New Order Amish and they do use rear reflectors and often tail lights. Amish horses are very well trained and it takes a lot to spook them. Just because your headlights don't spook them doesn't mean they don't affect the horses night vision. I have excellent night vision myself but often lose it for a bit when someone doesn't dim their high beams or has really bright lights.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    grouch...

But explain to me your comment about headlights on the Amish buggies affected the horses vision???

I don't understand how headlights on the buggies that are behind the horses could possibly do that.

7. ol' grouch

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

Thinking on it, my comment was poorly phrased. My first job working on vehicles included changing batteries in Amish buggies. I thought the boss was trying to pull a joke on my but I changed 5 or 6 per day. The local community had a contract to keep the batteries on charge and change them out as needed. They were used to run the lights and such and with kids going through their "Rhumspringe" (sp?) their 8 track players.

The headlights cause a pool of light near the horses and it affects their night vision. A dark night to us is a dim night to them. They will also suck the batteries dry in short order.

8. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    LOL I am very familiar with the situation... Bill lives a half of a mile from me and has been a friend of mine for over 40 years. He has just discovered how badly things can go wrong when you take a simple lighting ordinance to three separate committee's to be written
    The ordinance was brought to the full board and never received a second to proceed... so it died before it ever got close to passage

9. Steve.Brink

Steve.Brink New Member

May 5, 2015
    Benton, WI
    All Amish in our area now have headlights and flashing tail lights on their buggies. Lot of hilly and winding roads around here. It definitely helps out. We do have several car/truck vs buggy accidents every year here in SW Wisconsin.

10. ol' grouch

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

We had an accident a few years back with a team of horses and no lights. The Amish community went after the guy who ran the horses without lights.