any tips on cleaning ....

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by muscl car, May 26, 2015.

1. Cuzz

Cuzz Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Michigan
    My "Weld Draglites" have a clear coat on them so I don't see how a aluminum polish will work.. If you have a clear coat on them I think you need something along the lines of a paint polisher unless you remove the clear coat and expose the aluminum..

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

You try and POLISH the clear coat "too much" and you burn thru the clear
    coat leaving a spot or hole..........ask me how I know............on my factory
    2005 Dodge Ram Alloys

3. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mission Viejo, CA, USA
    Have you contacted Weld to see what the finish is on the rims, i.e. coated, bare, etc? I'd start there and go accordingly.

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looked on Weld Racing website on cleaning instructions and it mentions coated or uncoated wheels but doesn't mention anything about the Drag Lites . It does mention metal polish and using latex gloves to apply polish and wiping clean with microfiber towels

Wish I new if it was coated as I don't want to burn thru it when polishing

5. muscl car

So using a detail spray and microfiber towel will work ??

6. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    My drag Lites aren't clear coated. Try a small amount of metal polish on them. If the applicator turns black then yours are not clear coated either.

If they are clear coated clean and polish them like the rest of the paint on your car.

7. muscl car

Will try that today as I also have to retorque my wheels

8. Cuzz

Cuzz Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Michigan
    As mentioned above, try some aluminum polish and if your rag turns black, you don't have a clear coat and can continue to polish using the aluminum polish.. I use Mothers aluminum polish which works very well. I found that doing it by hand works better than polishing with a rotary buffer which still leaves a cloudiness to it..

If the rag doesn't turn black, then you have a clear coat on them and you basically have to use a process that similar to polishing a clear coat on a paint job.. This is going to be a lot more work than if they are not clear coated, especially if the clear coat is cloudy and dull.. A detail spray and towel will only work if the clear coat is still in like new condition with no cloudiness or dullness..

9. muscl car

Did a test and got black residue on my microfiber towel so they're uncoated !! :) . So headed to Orielly auto parts and picked up a bottle of White Diamond metal polish . This metal polish is awesome and made my new wheels shine like they were professionally polished

The polish once I applied it to ea rim immediately turned the aluminum black . Once I wiped the whole rim down I let it sit for 5 min then using a clean microfiber towel I started to wipe the rim clean . The wheels are so shiny you can see a deep shine that looks awesome

10. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mission Viejo, CA, USA